Also known as: Landstalker: Koutei no Zaihou (JP)
Landstalker was Sega's answer to Zelda... and a really good one, at that!
Replace JPEG images with PNG/GIF.
A wolf mage-like enemy.
A harpy-like enemy.
Zak's "boomerang axe", shown on official artwork but not actually used in-game.
A debug menu can be accessed by using patch code 000210:0000 or Game Genie code AABA:AAAT.
To activate the debug menu, stand in front of a sign or NPC and press A or C on Controller 1 while pressing Down on Controller 2. Pressing Left or Right will cycle through the different options which include map, flag, sound, and music menus. The map menu allows you to warp to a selected area and the flag menu allows you to set how far you are currently in the game (within the range 1-31, 1 being "Massan" and 31 being "Cave at the top"). The sound and music menus work like a normal sound test.
Other debug mode features can be activated using Controller 2:
- Press Start to warp to the next room (can be buggy and doesn't always warp you to a place in the room).
- Press A to save current progress (works outside churches, and even remembers your coordinates in the room).
- Press B to pause the game.
- Press and hold C to double both your running speed and jump height.
- Press Up to gain 9 of every item in the game. Be warned, however – this also gives you placeholder versions of the items and books seen in shops and churches. Once you have them, you won't be able to buy items or make use of a church's services!
There is an error handler for undefined messages in the game.
Additionally, there is a beep code when certain error criteria are met (e.g., too many sprites on screen at one time). The debug mode has to be activated in order to hear the error codes. The beep codes play certain sound effects repeatedly between 8-16 times, and the error can be identified by the sound effect played.
Before entering the Chicken Race room, hold A + C + Start on Controller 2. This will change the four chickens into enemy sprites.
Several adult-themed items were significantly altered outside Japan.
The Bunnygirl named "Bunny-chan" became the Oracle Stone.
The Erotic Book became the Spellbook.
The Bunnygirl Costume became the Shortcake.
The G-String was changed to the Pawn Ticket.
In the Japanese and European versions, Nigel does not get King Nole's treasure and Friday cheers him up with a dance. In the US version, Nigel obtains King Nole's treasure and Friday confesses her love for him.
Removed Bath Scene
This scene was made inaccessible in the US and European versions by adding a maid blocking the entrance to Kayla's room. The scene itself, however, remains in the game and was even fully translated!