Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Master System, Game Gear)
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2|
This game has a prototype article
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: featuring Tails as Princess Peach!
|"Crying Tails" Animation||Tails crying. Probably meant to be used in the ending cutscene when he is rescued.|
|"Bored Sonic" Animation||While the majority of the game's Sonic graphics were copied from the Master System version of the first game, the waiting animation was changed, rendering these three frames unused.|
|Sonic 1 Death Sprite||Sonic's death sprite from the Master System version of the first game.|
|Underground Zone Boss body||The entire body of the boss. Normally, only its head is visible.|
|Sky High Zone Boss body||The entire body of the boss. Normally, only its head and neck can be seen.|
|Sonic Monitor||While you can find this in a wall in Crystal Egg Zone, the graphics are obscured. When collected, it grants a continue.|
|Question Mark Monitor||May have given a random amount of rings or items, like in the 2-player mode of the Genesis version.|
|Grey Sneaker Monitor||May have slowed you down, like the Slow sneaker in the 2-player mode of Sonic 3.|
|Arrow Monitor||Most likely intended to be a checkpoint marker, like the 8-bit versions of Sonic 1.|
There are many more.
Gimmick Mountain Title Card
Originally, the level card for Gimmick Mountain Zone used its full name. Due to lack of space on the screen, however, "Mountain" was shortened to "Mt."
A build date string can be found in the ROM at 0x000C0.
MS SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.2 Ver1.00 1992/09/05 SEGA /Aspect Co.,Ltd
GG SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.2 Ver1.10 1992/09/12 SEGA /Aspect Co.,Ltd
A peaceful, ethereal-sounding tune. What this song could have been used for is unknown.
While powering on the game, hold Left + 1 + 2 on Controller 2. When the intro sequence starts, release the buttons, then start the game as usual.
When the intro starts, hold Down + Left + 1 + 2 + Start. When the title screen appears, wait for a ring sound to play twice (Tails will wink three times). Release all the buttons and press Start.
This section is WIP: add more detail, elaboration, rip the boss/good ending music, etc.
The 8-bit versions of Sonic 2 are mostly identical, but there are some differences.
- The intro starts with Tails already being kidnapped.
- The sky in the intro is a bright cyan.
- The music during the intro is the title screen music of the Game Gear version, and no music plays during the title screen.
- The boss music differs from the Game Gear version.
- The good ending uses music from the bad ending.
- The intro is extended a bit further: it starts off with Tails walking in Green Hills Zone, and Sonic chases down Robotnik as he tries to kidnap Tails.
- The sky in the intro is a very dark cyan.
- The music during the intro is the music from Scrambled Egg Zone, with the Master System version's intro music used for the title screen.
- The boss music is different from the Master System version.
- The good ending has its own, happy-sounding, tune.
- When Sonic (and Tails) look upon the stars at the end of the credits, a sound is played.
- Speed Shoe monitors, if hacked into the game, do nothing when broken.
- The bad ending music is longer.
- The sound when Sonic spins on the wheels and orb in GMZ and CEZ is different.