From The Cutting Room Floor
Also known as: Super Contra (JP), Probotector II: Return of the Evil Forces (EU)
Two John Rambos show up aliens.
A sound test full of Engrish is accessible by holding A + B and pressing Start on the title screen. Strangely, only the last melody ("MEDOLEY") locks the cursor in place while it plays.
In the Japanese version, hold Down + Select at the title screen, then press Start. Select the area with Up / Down, then press Start to go there.
List all differences, rip graphics.
The European version has many graphical differences:
- The title screen was changed to Probotector II Return of the Evil Forces
- The two main characters were changed into robots, and their names were changed from "Mad Dog" and "Scorpion" to "RD008" and "RCO11".
- Four enemies were changed to robots in sidescrolling stages.
- Three enemies were changed to robots in top-down stages.
- The helicopter that drops off the heroes was changed to look more futuristic.
- The first helicopter boss was changed to look more futuristic.
At the end of the PRG ROM is an ID with the date that version of the game was compiled. A similar ID is found in many other Konami games.
|US Version||EU Version||JP Version|
So the Japanese version was compiled on October 5, 1989, the US version on November 29, and the European version on March 31, 1992. Interestingly, the master version of Super Contra was compiled two days before the sample version of the Japanese Akumajo Densetsu.
|The Contra series|
|NES||Contra • Super C|
|SNES||Contra III: The Alien Wars|
|Genesis||Contra: Hard Corps|
|Game Boy||Operation C|
|Nintendo DS||Contra 4|