The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.
Feel free to browse our collection of games and start reading. Up for research? Try looking at some stubs and see if you can help us out. Just have some faint memory of some unused menu/level you saw years ago but can't remember how to access it? Feel free to start a page with what you saw and we'll take a look.
Released: N/A (Unreleased prototype), Super Nintendo
A prototype of Chrono Trigger (SNES), presumably used at trade shows and/or by reviewers, that was eventually leaked and released on the internet. It's in a fairly complete state, but still contains a lot of extremely interesting data hinting at numerous concepts dropped in the final game.
In comparison between the prototype and the final, many items were re-done, numerous graphics were altered/added/removed entirely, the music was polished up (with new songs added and some early ones deleted altogether), and the world as a whole underwent several design changes, some major, some minor.
Perhaps most interestingly of all, however, are the presence of several dungeons that were removed entirely from the final! These include an entire area underneath the sealed ruins north of Medina, a strange series of catacombs under Zeal Castle, and most intriguingly of all... the Singing Mountain!
This prototype is truly a treasure for Chrono Trigger fans!
Did You Know...
- ...there are over 30 item icons, over 50 unused voice clips, and sprites for several unused moves for Richter in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?
- ...that there are 9 unused items in Lunar: Eternal Blue including the famous Dark Scimitar weapon?
- ...that there's a texture for a gun hidden in Plum's trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee?
- ...that the enemy troop leader in the arcade Alien vs. Predator actually has a name? And it may have been possible to fight him?
- ...that the voice acting in Hotel Mario could have been worse?
- ...that the Wii version of A Boy and His Blob has a Sam & Max: Freelance Police intro movie?
Want to contribute? Not sure where to begin? Visit the Help page for everything you need to get started, including...
- Instructions for creating and editing articles
- Guides that will help you find debug modes, unused graphics, hidden levels, and more
- A list of what needs to be done
We also have a sizable list of games that either don't have pages yet, or whose pages are in serious need of expansion. Check it out!