Super Mario Bros. 2
|Super Mario Bros. 2|
This game has a prototype article
Super Mario Bros. 2 is the black sheep of the Mario series... at least before Super Mario Sunshine came along.
During a series of unfortunate incidents, a prototype dump of this game was released.
This has a bunch of differences and blah blah balhdlfkshfdsf
- A on title screen: Selects world (can go above 7, which leads to various bugs/crashes)
- Select during gameplay: Gives you 16 HP and breaks the life counter. This is actually shown in some commercial
- Title screen palette is different
- The story is different
- Some minor changes here and there
- You can't run, like in Doki Doki Panic
- Eyeballs aren't white
- Hold positions are totally wrong
- Good lord this list is long
- 7-1 and 7-2 have some minor changes
- No animations
- The underground theme is an earlier version of Super Mario Bros. 3's with LOUD drum samples; it was reverted to the Doki Doki Panic version pre-release.
- The invincibility theme uses noise-based drums (like SMB1), rather than the drum samples as found in the final.
- You get prize money based on how many times you died
- Game ends on a simple THE END screen after the congratulations
SMB2 has a :) in the desert tileset. It is indeed very happy, and the artist who put it there is good people.
Eighth animation frame
The animated tiles in the game (like the POW blocks and the cherries) actually have 8 frames of animation. However, due to a bug, only the first 7 frames are actually displayed.
Placeholder proto-final differences
To be used with a comparison between the proto and final versions.
Prototype 7-1; no Phanto
Final 7-1, with Phanto added
The title screen uses a different, rather monotonous yellowish palette in the prototype. It was changed to the orange-blue palette in the final version. Also, the wording has been changed very slightly in the story.
Some changes were done to the sprites:
- Peach's hair when she is facing the screen has been changed very slightly.
- Peach's squatting sprite has been completely changed. It was very badly drawn in the prototype, and the developers probably noticed that and improved it.
- The feet of small Toad and Luigi were changed a bit to fit better.
- Smb2 facing princess.png
- Smb2 squatting princess.png
- Smb2 toad small.png
- Smb2 running luigi small.png