The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.
Feel free to browse our collection of games and start reading. Up for research? Try looking at some stubs and see if you can help us out. Just have some faint memory of some unused menu/level you saw years ago but can't remember how to access it? Feel free to start a page with what you saw and we'll take a look.
Released: 1994, Super Nintendo
Final Fantasy VI is the sixth game in the long-running Final Fantasy series, and is considered by many to be among the best. It's earned quite a reputation online, as well, for being extremely prone to glitches, some of which actually render things unused that otherwise should be accessible.
But not even glitches can account for everything that went unused in this game: Enemies, spells, key items, dialogue-a-plenty, Esper effects, and even bits of code to modify the prices in shops all got left out. Did you know that it's actually possible to add the main villain, Kefka, to the team? This game is loaded with mysteries.
Did You Know...
- ...that Mickey Mania on the Genesis has a special message that can only be seen by changing the region of the console after the game has loaded?
- ...that Legoland once had a difficulty system based on age?
- ...Shang Tsung was meant to have a fatality in the arcade version of Mortal Kombat?
- ...Kintaro was originally meant to have an intro in Mortal Kombat II like Goro did in Mortal Kombat?
- ...that the debug rooms in Metroid Fusion use graphics from Wario Land 4?
- ...that Sonic Mega Collection has an unused video filmed in San Francisco?
Want to contribute? Not sure where to begin? Visit the Help page for everything you need to get started, including...
- Instructions for creating and editing articles
- Guides that will help you find debug modes, unused graphics, hidden levels, and more
- A list of what needs to be done
We also have a sizable list of games that either don't have pages yet, or whose pages are in serious need of expansion. Check it out!