Crash of the Titans (PlayStation 2)
|Crash of the Titans|
A radical departure from any of the previous games in the series, Crash of the Titans mixes part of the marsupial's trademark platforming in with some good ol'-fashioned brawling, with the added nuance of mounting large Titan enemies to do your dirty work for you!
This game, just like its predecessor Crash Tag Team Racing, was based on The Simpsons: Hit & Run's engine, so the tools to mod that game work with this game. However, starting with this game Radical Entertainment started compiling the included Lua scripts, so modifying anything is much harder.
There's thousands of voicelines and a bunch of them go unused. Document them somehow.
The DEFAULT.RCF cement file contains many unused models and textures in packages scattered in the package folder:
- An early Crash model called "Crash_test".
- A "Hulk" costume for the early Crash model.
- A variety of test props: A ramp, a "springy office chair", tree platforms etc.
- Placeholder save icons for episodes and mojo rooms.
- An early Koo-ala HUD icon.
- HUD icons for players in backpacks.
The main package of the game - the DEFAULT.RCF cement file - contains 3 unused levels:
- AI_pathfind: Rough textureless test level with a skybox not seen in any used level (with a "01_test_structures.bmp" texture); This skybox is used in all 3 of these levels.
- CombatArena01: Highly detailed arena in a dark blue cave-like environment, with a couple rocks and palm trees.
- SoundTest: Simple small area with data pertaining to different environments, likely to test step sounds.
The only playable level is CombatArena01 on Wii and PSP, as the others crash upon loading.
The DEFAULT.RCF cement file contains four themes which go unused, and which are also present in the game's sequel Mind Over Mutant with the same filenames.
A 30-second theme with very whimsical and Crash-esque instruments. The name indicates it was a testing placeholder of some sort, and it may be a leftover from another one of Radical's games.
Very similar to the above track, with more simple and catchy instruments. As the name states, it's another temporary theme.
A shorter jingle with funky, disco themed instruments. You know where this is going.
Different from the three themes documented above in that it's not merely twice as long and located in a different file directory (crash_temp_sounds, as opposed to sounds), but anybody familiar with the series will notice it's a jungle-themed remix of the traditional Crash Bandicoot theme, synonymous with the series since it was first used in Warped!
Unfortunately, the filename makes it clear that it was never intended to be anything more than a placeholder theme, rendering this iconic piece of Bandicoot paraphernalia unused in this game.
Some "InGame" text packages contain strings unused in the game:
A MOJO IDOL! YOU'RE MY IDOL CRASH
WINNING MAKES YOU SMELL BETTER GOOD THING YOU WORE PANTS PANCAKES FOR EVERYONE MOJO DOES THE BODY GOOD LIKE A BANANA, YOU'RE VERY APPEALING
UNLOCKED CRASH HULK SKIN
UNLOCKED ARACHNINA SKIN
EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE A LOSER, PEOPLE STILL LIKE YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE WORN PANTS DID YOU EAT SOME PAINT RECENTLY? BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO TAKE ON TOO MUCH YOU MAKE THE SUN SHINE BRIGHTER, LIKE GLOBAL WARMING
YOU FOUND RYAN SEACREST!