This game has revisional differences.
A Galaxian is like a more proactive Invader; they won't think twice about charging right at y-- wait, the Galaxians are the humans?
There are five Galaxian sets in MAME. They seem to follow the chronology below:
|Namco Set 2
|Midway Set 2
|Midway Set 1
|Namco Set 1|
|Bonus Life Setting||Old||Old||Alternate||New||New|
|Extra Lives||3 or 5||3 or 5||2 or 3||2 or 3||2 or 3|
Of course, each publisher has a different logo on the title screen. This is the only difference between the Taito set and Namco set 2.
Bonus Life Setting
- In the oldest sets, there are three extra life settings, and one setting that disables the extra life feature entirely.
- In Midway Set 2 only, the extra life settings are lower.
- In newer sets, there are four extra life settings, and all of the scores are higher than in previous sets.
|Older Sets||Midway Set 1||Namco Set 1|
The higher score values meant that the "BONUS GALAXIP" string had to be readjusted.
- In Midway Set 1, the score value and the "PTS" graphic were shifted to the right 8 pixels, potentially putting the "PTS" graphic in the overscan area of the monitor.
- In Namco Set 2, the "BONUS GALAXIP FOR" text was shifted to the left 8 pixels, and the string is now properly centered.
Self-explanatory. Only the older Namco set and the Taito set let the player start with 5 lives.
In older sets, each alien can only shoot two lasers at a time.
In newer sets, each alien can shoot up to three lasers at a time. To support the new laser limit, code was added to the laser drawing routine to flicker the lasers. The game alternates between drawing even ID lasers and odd ID lasers each frame.
|The Galaxian series|
|Arcade||Galaxian • Galaga • Gaplus • Galaxian 3: Project Dragoon • Ms. Pac-Man & Galaga: 20 Year Reunion • Pac-Man: 25th Anniversary Edition|
|NES||Galaxian • Galaga|
|PlayStation||Galaxian 3 • Galaga: Destination Earth|