Linus Spacehead's Cosmic Crusade
|Linus Spacehead's Cosmic Crusade|
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
All NES games developed by Codemasters are based on the same stub library. As a result, all of these games, including those on multicarts, include a "smiley test" that verifies the integrity of the PRG ROM and CHR RAM chips.
To activate the PRG ROM test, hold Up + Down + Left + Right + A + Select + Start and press Reset. To activate the CHR RAM test, hold Up + Down + Left + Right + B + Select + Start and press Reset. (These tests can also be run simultaneously by holding both A and B, and the results will be ORed together in RAM.) If the PRG ROM checksum matches with the internal value or the CHR RAM chip has no bad cells, the program will display a happy green face; otherwise, it will display a sad red face. The code also attempts to write the test results to an unknown device at $4400, possibly an automated cartridge tester.
Note that the tests cannot be performed with an unmodified controller, as the design of the directional pad prevents more than two directions from being pressed at once.
Press and hold A + B then press Select + Start.
Title Screen and Intro
The game's title in European regions was changed "Cosmic Spacehead". Several graphical changes were made to the game to reflect the change of title.
The intro graphic was changed to match the European box art, which features a very different rendition of the game's protagonist. A Codemasters logo was also added to this screen.
- In the US Version, you can press Select + Start while the game is paused to see the password.
- In the European Version, you can collect a Password item when you enter a new area, and it will show the password. The Select + Start button combination is not used.
Play control during the side-scrolling segments is significantly different between versions.
- In the US version:
- Once you jump, your horizontal speed is locked, and cannot change in midair.
- Holding the Jump button causes you to continuously jump.
- In the European version:
- You can freely move horizontally in midair, making the game significantly easier.
- Holding the Jump button does not make you continuously jump. But if you release the jump button, and hold it down before landing, you will jump again immediately.
- If the European version of the game is run on a PAL console, the player will move 50% faster during side-scrolling segments, while the game runs at 50FPS instead of 60FPS. This is a net speedup of 25% vs NTSC.