Minecraft: Java Edition/Version Differences/1.5
This is a sub-page of Minecraft: Java Edition/Version Differences.
The Redstone Update, or 1.5 and its other smaller updates, was a major update to Minecraft, released on March 13, 2013. The update overhauled redstone in its entirety, along with adding a lot of redstone-related blocks.
- 1 13w01a
- 1.1 Additions
- 1.2 Changes
- 1.3 Bug Fixes
- 2 13w01b
- 3 13w02a
- 3.1 Additions
- 3.2 Changes
- 3.3 Bug Fixes
- 4 13w02b
- 5 13w03a
- 5.1 Additions
- 5.2 Changes
- 5.3 Bug Fixes
- 6 13w04a
- 6.1 Additions
- 6.2 Changes
- 6.3 Bug Fixes
- 7 13w05a
- 8 13w05b
- 9 13w06a
- 10 13w07a
- 11 13w09a
- 12 13w09b
- 13 13w09c
- 14 13w10a
- 15 13w10b
- 16 13w11a
- 17 13w12~
- 18 1.5.1
- 19 1.5.2
13w01a is the first release of 1.5, released on January 3, 2013. It was the first snapshot released in 2013.
Block of Redstone
Blocks of redstone store redstone dust similar to how blocks of diamond store diamonds, or other variants of the same idea.
The block emits constant redstone power, and acts as a pushable redstone power source.
Daylight sensors output power while receiving sunlight. The level varies depending on the time (more sunlight equals more redstone power), and it does not function at night.
Hoppers place and take out items in Hoppers, chests, furnaces, minecarts with chests, dispensers, and brewing stands. They are currently crafted with 5 blocks of stone and a chest, and use the texture of cauldrons.
It allows for the automation of many processes, but is still a work in progress (as indicated by the inventory icon shown below).
Nether Quartz Ore
Nether Quartz ore is a new ore exclusive to the Nether. It drops 1 Nether Quartz item when mined and generates around netherrack.
The redstone comparator is a new redstone-related block that has 2 inputs and 1 output. It is a replacement for a capacitor.
If A≥B, the output will be A, otherwise it will stay off. When the comparator is toggled, it will output full strength instead of A it will subtract B from A and need a comparator as input for B. Whichever side gives the bigger signal will be considered signal B.
Trapped chests give out a signal depending on the amount of players looking inside. 1 person equals 1 strength signal, 2 people equals 2, and so on. It's crafted with a chest and a tripwire hook, and the texture is slightly different than a normal chest, with a red stain around the latch.
Large trapped chests can be put next to large chests to allow more compact storage.
Weighted Pressure Plates
Weighted pressure plates detect item stacks. The gold version reaches full strength at 60 items, and the iron version reaches full strength at 600 items. It is linear, so 10 strength signal means twice as many items as a 5 strength signal.
Nether bricks are items used in crafting Nether brick blocks. They're obtained by smelting netherrack.
The Nether brick block's recipe is a 2 by 2 square of Nether bricks.
Nether Quartz is an item dropped from Nether Quartz ore. They are used to craft redstone comparators and daylight sensors.
The texture for the block was changed.
Pistons are now more stable than previous versions.
Redstone circuits are now more consistent.
The hotbar now shows the item name in-game.
Death messages now show the name of the weapon a player was killed with.
There are new shortcuts for inventory management.
- Double-click items to fill the stack up as much as possible.
- Drag item stacks around to divide them up over the dragged-over slots.
- Drag item stacks around with the right mouse button to place one of that stack in each dragged-over slot, if that slot is not occupied already.
- Shift double-click an item stack to move all other item stacks of that kind to that part of the inventory.
- Press Q while the mouse is over an item in the inventory or a container to drop it.
2 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-177 - Clocked piston arm turns invisible when exiting game/dying/etc.
- MC-184 - (Powered) redstone doesn't update right.
13w01b is the second snapshot for 1.5, released on January 4, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w01a snapshot.
All containers now output a redstone signal when a comparator is placed against it directly. The strength of the signal depends on how full the container is. It works with trapped chests as well, meaning it can provide two redstone signals with different causes at the same time.
The player can now shift-click rails onto Hoppers to empty minecart with chests.
20 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-302 - TNT explosion delayed until exiting and re-entering world.
- MC-1619 - Infinite rail duplication glitch.
- MC-3287 - Inconsistency with pistons pushing items.
- MC-3339 - Tile entity crashing bug.
- MC-5711 - Removing a block with a redstone torch on it will not remove the redstone torch.
- MC-5721 - Crash when using new inventory features.
- MC-5728 - Infinite loop caused by a comparator (on subtractor mode) feedback loop.
- MC-5729 - Only one block disappears when an Iron Golem or Snow Golem or Wither is created.
- MC-5746 - TNT render blocks invisible.
- MC-5748 - You can place anything in a container or Minecart or Furnace Minecart with the Hopper.
- MC-5759 - New inventory mechanics can break crafting.
- MC-5768 - TNT explosions that destroy the chest being viewed causes a crash.
- MC-5773 - Breaking a chest with another player viewing the contents will kick that player out of the server.
- MC-5786 - Players could not smelt Nether Quartz ore.
- MC-5789 - Yellow text object counter (displaying a 0).
- MC-5798 - Hopper does not pick up all items dropped into it.
- MC-5845 - Duplications - ingots/diamonds etc.
- MC-5846 - TNT with Trapped chests.
- MC-5871 - Comparator looks activated but has no output.
- MC-5934 - Comparators don't have a delay.
13w02a is the third snapshot released for 1.5, released on January 10, 2013.
Activator rails are a new kind of rail used to trigger minecarts with TNT. It needs to be powered by redstone, and transmits power up to 8 activator rails far. It's also crafted the same way as normal rails, except with a redstone torch in the middle instead of a stick.
Block of Quartz
Blocks of Quartz are a new building/decoration block. They're crafted by placing 4 pieces of Nether Quartz in a square.
Chiseled Quartz Block
Chiseled Quartz blocks are a new building/decoration block. They're crafted by placing 2 Quartz slabs next to each other.
Pillar Quartz Block
Pillar Quartz blocks are a new building/decoration block. Their crafting recipe is 2 blocks of Quartz vertically.
Quartz stairs are a new stair block. Their crafting recipe is the same for normal stairs, except that they're made out of any Quartz block.
Quartz slabs are a new slab block. Their crafting recipe is the same except that it is made out of any Quartz block.
Minecart with TNT
Minecarts with TNT are a new type of minecart triggered by activator rails. Their crafting recipe is a TNT block on top of a minecart, allowing for creation in the 2x2 inventory.
When it derails, it explodes instantly, ignoring the usual timer delay. It explodes even more violently the faster it goes. In Creative mode, when a minecart with TNT is left clicked while moving, it simply explodes then and there.
Death messages now include the cause of death, the player the deceased player was fighting at time of death, and the name of the item used to kill the deceased player.
The newly added death messages include:
- [Player] fell from a high place
- [Player] fell into a patch of cacti
- [Player] fell into a patch of fire
- [Player] fell off a ladder
- [Player] fell off some vines
- [Player] fell out of the water
- [Player] got finished off by [Player/Mob] using [Weapon]
- [Player] tried to swim in lava while trying to escape [Player/Mob]
- [Player] walked into a cactus while trying to escape [Player/Mob]
- [Player] walked into a fire whilst fighting [Player/Mob]
- [Player] was burnt to a crisp whilst fighting [Player/Mob]
- [Player] was killed trying to hurt [Player/Mob]
- [Player] was slain by [Player/Mob] using [Weapon]
The naming mechanism for containers has been improved. Chests, Trapped Chests, Dispensers, Furnaces, Brewing Stands, and Enchantment Tables that have been renamed will display the new name in their GUI where the normal name used to appear.
- The texture used for Hoppers has been changed.
- Hoppers are now controllable by redstone.
- They can be powered by it to disable item forwarding.
- A proper icon has also been added.
- Anvils can no longer be used as a fuel in a furnace.
- A new crafting recipe has been added.
- It uses iron ingots rather than stone.
- The redstone signal emitted when a Comparator is placed against it directly has changed.
- 1 item will give a signal strength of 1, a 1/3 of a stack (21 for items which stack to 64) gives a signal strength of 2.
- The number of full stacks x 3 = Signal strength.
- For example, 2 stacks of an item/block will give a signal strength of 6, while 2 potions will also give a signal strength of 6 (because a potion occupies one stack).
The textures for lava have been changed.
The texture for redstone comparators has been changed.
Additionally, when fed by containers, they will now start giving out a signal as soon as 1 item is in the container, allowing for empty container detection.
The formerly unused slab type, known as the smooth stone slab, has now been removed from the game. Its data values have been replaced with the Nether Quartz slab.
Trapped chests are now located in Decoration Blocks in the Creative mode inventory.
The naming of mob eggs has been improved.
- Mobs spawned from renamed eggs have the name of the egg and the names will appear in the death message.
- Mobs can now display their custom name as nametag using an NBT tag.
- Skeletons now have improved aiming.
- They now shoot from 15 blocks away, instead of 10.
- Their accuracy changes by difficulty.
The chests in abandoned mineshafts have been changed to minecarts with chest.
The language files have been updated. Language files can now be updated via the background downloader (no need for a new Minecraft release).
- Textures now use one file per block/item, which are stitched together at runtime.
- Texture sizes don't need to be consistent.
- Any block and item can be animated by putting the frames underneath each other in the right .png.
- Use an optional .txt to specify frame order and duration.
- Special rules apply for water, lava, compass, and clock.
- Existing texture packs will "automagically" be converted.
- Vanilla textures will be used if texture files are missing.
22 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-737 - Map scaling breaks the map sometimes.
- MC-1086 - [FIXED] Command block/Repeater acting weirdly.
- MC-1642 - Minecart noise gets stuck on long minecart rides.
- MC-1972 - Redstone torch sometimes update instantly (not the North/South quirk).
- MC-2257 - Minecraft VERY slow to join/update a server, takes a LONG time to login (30 seconds/ 1 min).
- MC-2526 - Rain animation glitches through the ceiling.
- MC-2806 - Anvils will sometimes hit the edge of a block and break instead of being placed.
- MC-3597 - Floating minecart tracks when pushed by one-pulse piston.
- MC-3662 - Pistons and other Non-Solid blocks.
- MC-4752 - Failed to save player profile.
- MC-5691 - 1.4.6 - Windows 8 64x - Mouse: View issues/Accuracy error?
- MC-5722 - Destroying a Daylight Sensor by hand works as quick as with a pickaxe, but only using a pickaxe the item drops.
- MC-5777 - Game stops reading clicks when you are clicking very fast.
- MC-5788 - Inactive detector rail outputs redstone through block.
- MC-5874 - Shift left double-click doesn't work.
- MC-5998 - Item duplication by using the Hopper.
- MC-6125 - Adding an item to the chest decreases output signal level.
- MC-6131 - Crash upon reloading texture pack.
- MC-6165 - Comparators cannot determine if a container is empty.
- MC-6202 - Cacti grow extremely quickly.
- MC-6265 - Hoppers can be used as fuel in furnaces.
- MC-6699 - Reading Bytes in Minecraft code has a possible flaw.
13w02b is the fourth snapshot for 1.5, released on January 11, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w02a snapshot.
The crafting recipe for activator rails has been changed.
- It now includes two sticks and a redstone torch, as well as the 6 iron ingots.
- Dinnerbone stated the previous crafting recipe was not intended.
- Large/double chests can now release a redstone signal when connected to a Comparator depending on the number of stacks within.
- Before, double chests would only emit a signal depending on how full each individual chest was (a double chest with only the top half full would emit a full signal from the side that the items were in).
Powering a Hopper now also stops it from taking in items (see comparison between 13w02a and 13w02b).
Trapped chests now transmit signal downward through one block. This does not apply horizontally (through walls).
36 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-320 - The player could place vines into other vines.
- MC-1446 - Different timings on pistons in near same enviroment.
- MC-2974 - Anvil name change cost.
- MC-5214 - All the different Firework stars stack.
- MC-5976 - Can't fill completely a double chest with the Hopper.
- MC-6147 - Trapped chests only transmit redstone signal via redstone dust.
- MC-6250 - Wrong death message when using renamed sword.
- MC-6268 - Comparator only works for one half of a double chest.
- MC-6457 - Hopper doesn't pull out items that were smelted in the furnace.
- MC-6555 - Items traveling over Hoppers, turn invisible.
- MC-6656 - Shift double click armor quirk.
- MC-6735 - Crash at 13w02a Startup [Failed to start game].
- MC-6737 - Hopper item looks odd when dropped.
- MC-6738 - Texture of the furnace and the dispenser in the inventory are not showing the blocks' "face."
- MC-6742 - Biome's grass color does not get applied to the sides of the grass block in 13w02a.
- MC-6744 - Looking at certain items crashes the game.
- MC-6745 - The TNT Minecart is missing the ssss sound once triggered.
- MC-6746 - Minecart with TNT fails to return correct items when removed by player.
- MC-6758 - Ghast's Fireball texture does not display right texture, instead showing textures for diamond helmet / end portal frame.
- MC-6764 - Blocks and items' textures display a white texture.
- MC-6771 - Stitched_terrain.png and stitched_items.png on desktop.
- MC-6772 - Cauldrons have no bottom texture inside.
- MC-6774 - TNT Minecarts cannot be dispensed from a dispenser onto rails.
- MC-6808 - Lever placed on top of Hopper don't stop the leaking.
- MC-6834 - TNT Minecarts disappear on Reload.
- MC-6852 - Crash after opening the world.
- MC-6861 - [Regression] Brewing Stand does not show water bottles/potions in world.
- MC-6891 - Furnace fed by Hopper doesn't show the fire animation.
- MC-6916 - TNT Minecarts don't appear in Nether after being sent through portal.
- MC-6936 - Disabled Hopper doesn't suck up items' entities correctly.
- MC-6953 - No Quartz sprite in textures.
- MC-6964 - When crafting wooden planks in inventory, double clicking on planks would give you that item, without taking away the logs.
- MC-6974 - Hoppers transferring items too fast.
- MC-6982 - Visual error /non-mechanical lighting glitch.
- MC-7055 - Hopper still duplicating items.
- MC-7078 - Minecraft not loading textures.
13w03a is the fifth snapshot for 1.5, released on January 17, 2013.
- Droppers are a new block that place items in containers in front of them. If there is no container it will dispense the item without using it.
- The crafting recipe is 7 cobblestone in the shape of a circle (but without a block at the bottom), a Hopper in the middle, and redstone at the bottom.
- A dispenser 'shoots' items at the player, while a dropper 'throws' items at them.
Minecart with Hopper
- The crafting recipe is a Hopper on top of a minecart.
- It only be emptied by passing over a Hopper, and it can pick up items it passes over.
/testforis a new command, used to test for players.
- It uses comparators to get an analog redstone signal indicating the amount of found players.
Pillar Quartz Blocks
Pillar Quartz blocks can now be placed in any orientation - placement works like with wooden logs.
Comparators fed by command blocks will now indicate whether the last run command was run successfully.
Comparators powered by them now give out a signal depending on the fullness of the container on the rail.
Locked chests now have their crash fixed, causing their texture to be changed again.
- Creating an infinite water source no longer needs a block underneath, but has to have a water source block.
- Players can no longer ruin oceans/rivers with buckets.
- Skeletons' strength now change based on difficulty.
- They now shoot faster when their target is closer.
- They also now shoot players one block away.
- Zombies have been made harder to shoot.
- Their strength also scales with difficulty.
- They now group upon targets.
- When on fire, they can now set players on fire.
- They now become aggressive and come towards the player when shot from further away.
Minecart with TNT
- When blown up using activator rails, they no longer destroy rails and supporting blocks.
- However, it still blows up redstone materials.
- There are some new chat options in multiplayer menu:
- Focused Height
- Unfocused Height
- The texture packs button has been removed from the main menu.
- Players can now change texture packs in-game.
36 bugs have been fixed.
- Fixed "<player> was knocked into the void by <player>" failing to show.
- MC-547 - Arrows don't land properly.
- MC-592 - Dying stacked leather armor duplicates the armor.
- MC-916 - Water does not form source blocks properly on top of existing source blocks.
- MC-1570 - Levers have random orientation when placed.
- MC-2582 - Powered/activator rail on slope stays powered/activated.
- MC-2711 - Jukebox crashes when breaking with no record inside.
- MC-2989 - Block "resets" when right clicked with a food item.
- MC-3169 - Wither In Peaceful spawns very glitchy.
- MC-3449 - Block breaking resets when the item you're holding changes.
- MC-4770 - Chat Shown: commands only broken - displays all chats but prevents me from submitting commands with "cannot send chat message".
- MC-5719 - Clicking on items in inventory is delayed or does not work.
- MC-5737 - World generating in stripped parts.
- MC-5744 - Daylight sensor emits power in the Nether even though there's no day or night there.
- MC-6757 - Game crashes trying to render blocks 55, 64, 71, 95 as items.
- MC-6833 - Doubled up TNT minecarts creates huge lag ("Nuclear minecarts").
- MC-6900 - Locked chest crashes game.
- MC-7019 - Minecart with TNT explodes prematurely before derailing.
- MC-7084 - Game crashes when looking into a chest that contains items that crash the game.
- MC-7085 - Debug file "stitched_items.png" overlays textures on itself.
- MC-7108 - Hoppers grab/put items from/into chests that aren't connected.
- MC-7111 - Melon and Pumpkin seed stems use the fully grown texture scaled down to the right size.
- MC-7119 - Cake uses inside texture on all sides when placed.
- MC-7125 - Hopper doesn't get the correct powered state when placed.
- MC-7141 - More items going into a Hopper than it can hold can duplicate the items.
- MC-7143 - The game crashes after several seconds in the End with NullPointerException.
- MC-7277 - Textures won't load on texture packs (Mac OSX).
- MC-7301 - Single Hopper does not properly grab items from double trapped chests.
- MC-7323 - TNT Minecart explodes after derailing even if it was already activated.
- MC-7342 - Death message shows Java entity name (with fireballs).
- MC-7349 - TNT minecart "Ticking Entity" crash.
- MC-7620 - Dropper duping glitch.
- MC-7622 - Snapshot Crash when trying to break sugar cane.
- MC-7623 - Thrown splash potion doesn't show "potion" inside it.
- MC-7625 - Can't break blocks with nothing in hand.
- MC-7775 - Minecart with TNT and activator track have no names.
13w04a is the sixth snapshot for 1.5, released on January 24, 2013.
Mobs now show the name given to them, either by using the anvil on their Spawn Egg or external editors, above their head when the player looks directly at them within a circular 6 block radius.
- The scoreboard is a new command feature.
- It's not 100% done yet, however.
- The scoreboard can be used to track deaths, players killing another player, players killing something like a mob, or players activating commands.
- The complicated system uses a combination of name, display name, and criteria, and track an integer number of points for players.
Command blocks now use their name instead of @ in the chat.
- Dispensers can now face in all 6 directions.
- They now equip players with armor from one block away.
- They now activate TNT.
- They now use bone meal.
- They now use flint and steel.
- This will accurately decrease the durability of the tool.
Droppers, like dispensers, can now face in all 6 directions.
- Redstone comparators can now be used to measure jukeboxes.
- The output signal strength relates to the disk number.
- The block with the ID 43:8 will now be the "smooth stone full half-slab block" and will remain so.
- Generally: If the top bit is set, the top texture will be used on all sides, also allowing for smooth sandstone full half-slab blocks (43:9).
- Armor held in the player's hand can now be equipped by right-clicking.
- In this particular snapshot, this functionality is very faulty, prone to crashing and incorrect slot usage.
- It will be fixed in the next snapshot.
- Bone meal no longer gives instant growth. Instead, each use advances one growth stage:
- Crops require seven bone meal.
- Saplings and Cocoa Beans require two bone meal to grow into Trees and Cocoas, respectively.
- Brown and Red Mushrooms still grow into Huge Mushrooms instantly.
- It gives off green particles when used.
- Note: Dinnerbone has stated that he still has to balance out this new bone meal growth system.
Mobs will no longer actively path over rails.
- The player can now hit mobs/players from five blocks away.
- This does not apply to Survival and Adventure mode, retaining the normal range.
26 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-127 - Piston extended and retracted at the same time.
- MC-195 - Flowing water still drags the player while flying.
- MC-515 - Chest glitch that lets them appear as if they are opened while they are not.
- MC-519 - Achievements lost after update.
- MC-562 - Breeding cows can consume more than one wheat.
- MC-835 - In the server log, /say commands performed by the server do not appear to be in the console but do appear to the players.
- MC-1914 - Mob spawners sometimes show up as pig spawners.
- MC-2503 - Boats and minecarts should not be dropped in Creative.
- MC-3316 - Armor enchantments (besides Thorns) have no effect on mobs.
- MC-3981 - Dispensers no longer dispense item through blocks in the downward direction.
- MC-4052 - Powered redstone mechanisms react to change in redstone power level.
- MC-5742 - Redstone signals shortened by devices that output a shorter signal.
- MC-6069 - Server loading issue.
- MC-6118 - Monostable circuits only work in a North/South configuration.
- MC-6228 - Hopper doesn't accept items from second slot when container has different items in first slot.
- MC-6486 - Variable redstone strength causing strange update behavior.
- MC-6779 - Particle effects are messed up again...
- MC-6851 - Door handle position is in the wrong place.
- MC-6906 - Chest minecart won't deposit items in Hoppers while moving.
- MC-6952 - Iron door stays powered when retrieving the redstone block.
- MC-7619 - If a minecart with Hopper falls into the Void, the game will crash.
- MC-7627 - Changing the texture pack in-game renders strange.
- MC-7663 - Hopper minecart behaves like they are on powered activator rail if they never touched one.
- MC-7668 - Using pick block on Minecart with TNT or Hopper gives you just a minecart.
- MC-7940 - Wrong death message of renamed mobs spawned by dispensers.
- MC-8042 - Minecart with Hopper is not placed on rail.
13w05a is the seventh snapshot for 1.5, released on January 31, 2013.
- Multiple snow heights have been completely implemented.
- They drop one snowball for every layer of snow.
- Each level of snow has its own height collision.
- The topmost layer of snow does not have collision, so the player is always slightly sunken in the snow.
- Visually, four layers of snow is the same height as a slab. However, five layers of snow have the same collision height as a slab.
- Crafting recipe is 3 snow blocks in a row to create 6 snow layers.
- For each thin layer of snow crafted, the player loses exactly half the snowballs required to produce it.
- The range of beacons has been increased.
- Beacons' effects are infinite upwards with the beam.
- 1 layer: 41 blocks diameter (previously 33).
- 2 layers: 61 blocks (previously 49).
- 3 layers: 81 blocks (previously 65).
- 4 layers: 101 blocks (previously 81).
- Redstone comparators now use the 8s bit on block 149 to represent its powered state, rather than a separate block ID, 150.
- Block 150 is deprecated.
- The lighting for stairs has been improved.
- They no longer prevent sprinting.
Everything now randomly takes 2-3 uses to fully grow.
- Team mechanics have been added, including custom name colors, friendly fire options, and objective tracking per team instead of per player.
- A new display type has also been added. It displays values below nametags.
- A new criterion has been added as well: Health, ranging from 0 to 20.
23 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-666 - Spawn Protection not working properly.
- MC-1324 -
/difficultycommand doesn’t produce any messages.
- MC-1775 - Hash size breaks redstone.
- MC-2987 - Can't sprint going up stairs.
- MC-4232 -
SpawnPotentialslist working incorrectly.
- MC-6032 - Comparator outputs “pulse” when side signal is on.
- MC-6039 - The delay of the comparator is inconsistent.
- MC-6077 - Comparators causes block updates while idle.
- MC-6536 - Comparator is miscounting Hopper's contents.
- MC-6640 - Comparators trying to lock Repeaters even if their output is 0 (graphical).
- MC-6941 - SRV is no longer used to lookup servers.
- MC-6951 - High-res texture pack items have garbage on edges.
- MC-7087 - Mining activator rail isn’t boosted by pickaxe.
- MC-8172 - TNT defuses when traveling between dimensions.
- MC-8186 - Scoreboard vanishes when changing dimensions.
- MC-8189 - Right-clicking with a helmet in hand crashes the game.
- MC-8222 - Dispenser will put on stacks of armor.
- MC-8277 - Scoreboard system doesn’t accept @a.
- MC-8389 - Giant Mushrooms still grow instantly from bonemeal.
- MC-8416 - Furnace Minecarts drop a minecart and TNT.
- MC-8437 - URL parser does not detect 4 letter TLDs.
- MC-8487 - Wither doesn’t generate health when in minecart.
- MC-8510 - Gamerule
doMobLootdoesn’t affect XP drops.
13w05b is the eighth snapshot for 1.5, released on February 1, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w05a snapshot.
18 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-136 - Visual glitch on retracting piston.
- MC-1688 - Ender Egg falling render problems.
- MC-2416 - Suffocation/jittering/stuck when spawning in a newly created world.
- MC-3887 - Issues with name color in tab list.
- MC-5117 - Minecart does not make sound when riding it.
- MC-6586 - Getting a "Failed to verify username!" message when trying to join a server.
- MC-7094 - Minecraft crashes when dropping an anvil on certain blocks.
- MC-7452 - Custom lava / water flow files cause random pauses in animation.
- MC-7666 - "
selectServer.editButton" in place of the server deletion confirmation button.
- MC-7700 - The name of the Ender Dragon is not shown on boss-life bar.
- MC-8149 - Redstone dust appears as a piece of code in the HUD.
- MC-8444 - Dispenser does not bonemeal grass blocks.
- MC-8647 - Death messages are not translatable.
- MC-8775 - Minecraft crash when destroying a jukebox with a music disc inside.
- MC-8797 - 8-level flat snow does not act like a snow block.
- MC-8805 - Crash when leaving team after deleting it.
- MC-8839 - Clicking done when editing sign crashes Minecraft.
- MC-8856 - Team command error.
13w06a is the ninth snapshot for 1.5, released on February 7, 2013. 13w06a was reuploaded later on February 7, 2013 to fix a crash on the loading screen and an issue where all minecarts had turned into minecarts with spawners.
Minecart with Spawner
- The NBT structure is 100% the same as with normal mob spawners.
- It is not an obtainable item, but can only be added as an entity with external editors.
Lighting has once again been optimized.
24 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-68 - Spawning in the air after creating a new world.
- MC-69 - Pigs constantly jumping when the player controls them on half slabs and stairs.
- MC-220 - Z-fighting of iron bars / glass panes with the block below / above.
- MC-855 - Graphical piston glitch.
- MC-1524 - Baby mob collision boxes are too large.
- MC-2512 - Village lamp post floating torches.
- MC-4268 - Wither skeletons have wrong hitbox.
- MC-6019 - Double trapped chest, makes two sounds when opening and closing.
- MC-6753 - No sound from some trapped chests.
- MC-7039 - Villager trade menu missing name.
- MC-7344 - Trapdoor is closed when redstone repeater is one block below and powered.
- MC-7543 - Trapped chest blocked by a block still allow Hopper to place items in them.
- MC-7652 - Placing a block East of the Hopper makes the inside appear black.
- MC-8198 - Piston pushing piston bugs / piston duplicating piston.
- MC-8375 - Scoreboard bug.
- MC-8480 - Crash when trying to load a world. Does not happen 100% of the time.
- MC-8776 - Comparators do not update their output signal.
- MC-8998 - Team option "
friendlyfire" is not saved to disk; resets upon map reload.
- MC-9140 - Scoreboard name duplication glitch.
- MC-9214 - Objective scores displayed in the player list no longer work after a team color is applied.
- MC-9259 -
FallingSandsupport for block IDs greater than 128.
- MC-9316 - Snapshot 13w06a immediately crashes upon loading world red crash screen.
- MC-9319 - Normal minecarts spawn pig spawner minecarts.
- MC-9328 - Incorrect
13w07a is the tenth snapshot for 1.5, released on February 14, 2013.
FallingSandcan be edited using an NBT now called "
- The players can change the Sand to other tile entities.
Slight optimizations to lighting.
3 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-2196 - Map item placed in item frame experiences Z-fighting.
- MC-7302 - Nametag of certain mobs too low / too high.
- MC-9212 - Team colors/prefixes/suffixes are not displayed with @a/@p/@r.
13w09a is the eleventh snapshot for 1.5, released on February 26, 2013.
- A way for mobs/entities to ride other mobs/entities has been added.
- They no longer dismount upon reload.
- Mobs can now be spawned riding other mobs.
Players riding on an entity will keep it when logging off (the entity will disappear along with you) and will still be riding the entity upon logging back on.
- Fonts are now changeable.
- HD font support has been added.
The language files have been updated. 2 languages have been added, and 1 language has been removed.
- Norwegian Bokmål
- Smooth Lighting can now be changed to Minimum, Maximum & Off.
- Minimum uses the old smooth lighting, and Maximum fixes a bug with stairs.
Animated blocks and items in texture packs now require the animation definition.
11 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-221 - Players and Mobs fall off vehicles and other ridden entities upon world reload, glitching through blocks.
- MC-4009 - When a repeater is placed when facing the direction f=0 it flashes for one tick then goes off.
- MC-6077 - Comparators causes block updates while idle.
- MC-7167 - Hopper's name doesn't change in its GUI after renamed in anvil.
- MC-9391 - Command block arguments length.
- MC-9404 - Comparator bug.
- MC-9687 - Hopper don't update comparator when receiving item stack.
- MC-9788 - Mob Spawners failing to "Saving entity NBT".
- MC-9935 -
- MC-10033 - Scoreboard accepts arguments for @p but if not found it will use a wrong name.
- MC-10143 - Crash report of vanilla 13w07a shows "
Suspicious classes: $Proxy3, $Proxy4]".
13w09b is the twelfth snapshot for 1.5, released on February 27, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w09a snapshot. It was also the first version to include Minecraft Realms.
/effect <player> <effect> [<seconds>] [<amplifier>].
- The maximum number of seconds are 1,000,000.
- The [amplifier] option increases level of the chosen status effect.
- The maximum number for [amplifier] is 4.
- Minecraft Realms is a new game mode added to a few randomly chosen players.
- Exactly 100 players were chosen.
- The feature is accessed through a button in the Menu screen.
20 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-1352 - crowdin.net: Entry
entity.WitherBoss.nameis missing - German translation is "Withern".
- MC-1361 - Self-Powered Redstone Lamp / Breaking a repeater with a piston pointing at a block won't stop the circuit.
- MC-1680 - Potatoes are not affected by the Fortune enchantment.
- MC-5413 - Items with NBT data do not stack correctly due to serialization.
- MC-5929 - Cannot drop items in Creative mode.
- MC-6822 - Texture packs no longer work.
- MC-6903 - Rail duplication glitch.
- MC-7147 - World crashes after a few seconds.
- MC-7247 - Named tools/armor disappearing from inventory/
- MC-8802 - Blocks keep the redstone state when breaking a comparator that powers that block.
- MC-8932 - Pistons can't destroy comparators.
- MC-9066 - Infinite duration bug.
- MC-9382 - Crash with 512x texture pack.
- MC-9576 - Fortune doesn't affect the drop rate of apples and saplings.
- MC-9813 - "Pick Block" on certain items then switching to survival creates infinite or ghost items.
- MC-9817 - When removing "Ghost Items" from the inventory, the number may be negative or zero.
- MC-10112 -
/clearwith command blocks not working with armor that has been worn with custom damage values.
- MC-10309 - GUI text is messed up when changing textures / Block & item textures replaced by letters or other textures.
- MC-10329 - Pressing Single or Multiplayer button crashes the game.
- MC-10330 - Mining fatigue broken.
13w09c is the thirteenth snapshot for 1.5, released on March 1, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w09a and 13w09b snapshots.
SeeFriendlyInvisibles NBT tag has been added for players.
All potions are now categorized in Creative mode.
- The amplifier is no longer capped at 4.
- The player can now remove effects by running /effect <player> <effect> 0.
32 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-16 - TP Bug when you sit in Minecart/boat/riding pig.
- MC-32 - Minecart going in a circle will make any minecart close to them go super fast.
- MC-49 - Sounds: Fire extinguish sound does not work in survival.
- MC-5588 - Swords do not lose durability when used on the Ender dragon.
- MC-6055 - Powering noteblock with redstone block or torch does not work when powering it twice.
- MC-6551 - Creative Menu potion values are not the same as when brewed (issue redo).
- MC-7058 - Brewing stand comparator output inconsistent.
- MC-7098 - Non-standard resolutions (and small standard resolutions) not detected properly.
- MC-7196 - Nether cave/tunnel generator produces incorrect/cut tunnels.
- MC-7208 - Missing Quartz, Hopper, and comparator textures.
- MC-7249 - Quartz slabs and double slabs using wrong texture.
- MC-7296 - Lower resolution textures glitch.
- MC-7520 - Inconsistent distribution system (based on Hopper, Hopper bug) using rails and minecart-chest over Hoppers.
- MC-7771 - Comparator not updating status after reloading chunks.
- MC-8264 - Piston arm disappears briefly when placed on an active power source.
- MC-8426 - Crash caused by vertical wiring (half slabs / glowstone / full blocks).
- MC-8806 - Hoppers stop working on chunk reload.
- MC-9181 - Minecarts with Hoppers duplicating items when multiple carts are in the same space.
- MC-9289 - Hitting mobs with a sharpness I wooden sword and weakness III crashes the game.
- MC-9341 - Powering 2 pistons extends the wrong piston.
- MC-9357 - Mobs with the old AI have inverted head movement.
- MC-9363 - Rows of Vertical Down Piston Extenders have a >50% failure rate.
- MC-9531 - Graphical glitches involving pistons.
- MC-10312 - Minecraft crashes when a saddled pig you ride dies or when changing between rideable entities.
- MC-10355 - Animations for items and blocks do not work properly.
- MC-10415 - Unable to craft with blocks which have a damage value greater than 0.
- MC-10501 - Invisible entities infinite spawn loop (client side) using minecart spawners causing severe performance issues.
- MC-10503 - Crash when near crops.
- MC-10510 - View would be upside down if the player had speed 5 and FOV quake pro.
- MC-10532 - Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Ticking player.
- MC-10533 - Same redstone line, two different redstone level.
- MC-10558 - Internal error when using
/effectwith an ID greater than 31.
13w10a is the fourteenth snapshot for 1.5, released on March 4, 2013.
The activated rail texture has been added.
Spawn rates in swamps now depend on the current moon phase.
22 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-122 - Unicode font text shadow misaligned.
- MC-1505 - Grass fades under upside-down stairs (except oak wood ones).
- MC-3114 - Activated detector-rails moved by a piston keep their activated state.
- MC-3409 - Single player mode, creative mode, E to select block, select block from grid, E to return to game, game freezes, crash log created.
- MC-7254 - Furnace tile entities reproducing - Internal performance bug.
- MC-8184 - Redstone block and torches don't power dispensers, droppers, TNT and noteblocks.
- MC-8826 - Adding an item to a hopper with a dropper does not change comparator state.
- MC-9018 - Faceless furnace/furnace duplication glitches.
- MC-9336 - Extending piston animation missing.
- MC-9460 - Piston retracting disappears if pushed out by another piston.
- MC-9534 - Issues with baby cows' hitboxes.
- MC-10500 - Unicode defined font in texture pack is dysfunctional.
- MC-10543 - Last direct Multiplayer connection does not get saved.
- MC-10670 - Hard crash when trying to load a custom world.
- MC-10679 - Hopper cool-down is messed up.
- MC-10694 - Piston arm passes through other piston.
- MC-10731 - Hoppers facing one another are inconsistent.
- MC-10778 - Slowness 127 and Speed 110 together flip view.
- MC-10786 - Comparator doesn't update when a Hopper takes in only part of an item stack.
- MC-10825 - Using /clear on more than 1 player will stop clearing inventories once an empty inventory is encountered.
- MC-10826 - /me cannot use @p correctly.
- MC-10889 - Updated redstone bug (detector rail).
- MC-10900 - "
/scoreboard teams empty teamName" error message says "
%s" instead of the team's name.
13w10b is the fifteenth and final snapshot for 1.5, released on March 6, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in the 13w10a snapshot.
Dispensers will now only fire once when the block receives a redstone signal.
- To fire again, the signal must be turned off and on again. (Previously a dispenser would fire whenever it had a signal and a nearby block changed.)
- Droppers will now only fire once when the block receives a redstone signal.
- To fire again, the signal must be turned off and on again.
- Previously, a dropper would fire whenever it had a signal and a nearby block changed.
24 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-151 - Pushing TNT with a piston and activating it at the same time duplicates it.
- MC-266 - Placing a solid block near TNT and above redstone torch won't update the TNT.
- MC-846 - Dispenser and dropper shooting out when updated.
- MC-3259 - Long redstone wire does not update/behaves strange in newly loaded chunks.
- MC-3458 - Server crashes if spaces are input on the console.
- MC-5961 - Droppers and dispensers aren't triggered by 1 or 2 tick pulses.
- MC-6047 - Comparator strings fail to transmit 1-tick pulses.
- MC-6223 - Night Vision Potions that are edited to last longer create a potentially seizure-inducing flashing sky background.
- MC-7654 - Items disappearing of droppers in some situations.
- MC-8022 - Furnace interface occasionally closes when adding fuel, deleting all items in the furnace.
- MC-8597 - Named mobs don't have named babies.
- MC-8790 - Scoreboard teams function does not accept @p or @r arguments.
- MC-9685 - Comparators are still very inconsistent in 13w06a.
- MC-9818 - Non translatable error message "Could not clear the inventory of <player>, no items to remove".
- MC-10357 - Getting into a minecart with a mob in it crashes Minecraft.
- MC-10881 - Comparator coming off of chests, droppers, Hoppers ... behave strangely.
- MC-10956 - Animals can breed over distances up to almost 8 blocks when only separated by fences.
- MC-10946 - 2 Hoppers funneling unstackable items into a 3rd Hopper at the same time causes the 3rd Hopper to not funnel items into a container.
- MC-10948 - Dispensers continually shoot/use certain items like water buckets and flint&steel.
- MC-10950 - Comparators still giving off power when Hopper inventory is empty.
- MC-10995 - Message "THIS TOO" in console.
- MC-10997 - Powered dispensers and droppers update when a normal chest is opened or closed within 2 blocks.
- MC-11019 - Full Hoppers feeding into full Hoppers causes the forward Hopper to stall.
- MC-11044 - Adding items to brewing stand using dropper does not change state of comparator.
13w11a is the first snapshot for 1.5.1, released on March 14, 2013.
- Enchanted books can now be combined to raise their enchantment level or combine multiple enchantments on a single book.
- When combining two enchantments for a higher level variation, the player requires two of the same level enchanted book.
- They are still subject to the normal enchantment level limits.
A few assorted changes have been made.
10 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-250 - Ender Dragon can still grief stuff like cobblestone and chests even if the gamerule mobGriefing is set on false.
- MC-4577 - Unable to combine enchanted books for a higher level enchant.
- MC-6391 - Fire on Hopper not visible.
- MC-6705 - If the player uses an external editing tool (MCEdit) to give an enchanted book with multiple enchantments, and said player tries to combine it with an item, it will only enchant it with the first enchantment on the list.
- MC-8193 - Hopper doesn't try to place items from other slots if unable from first.
- MC-8943 - Fire doesn't show on 8 layered snow and Hopper.
- MC-11089 - Long scoreboard objective titles can be offset screen.
- MC-11109 - Breaking a container with items that is connected via a solid block with a comparator does not update the comparator.
- MC-11217 - Falling block entities start visually falling from 1 block higher than they were placed.
- MC-11236 - Paintings popping out / cannot place new ones.
13w12~ were two debug snapshots for 1.5.1 that attempted to fix an issue with the frame rate dropping significantly when using smooth lighting. The first debug snapshot was unsuccessful, however the second debug snapshot was successful in fixing this bug. The first snapshot was released on Mojira as a "temporary snapshot", which is why these snapshots do not follow regular naming conventions.
These snapshots were only released as clients; no corresponding server was released. However, these snapshots share their protocol version number with snapshots 13w09c through 13w11a, meaning that 13w12~ can connect to servers running any of those snapshots.
1 bug has been fixed.
- MC-8824 - FPS drop due to smooth lighting.
1.5.1 was a minor update, released on March 21, 2013. It mainly fixed issues with low frame rates on certain devices. As the protocol is the same as 1.5, players on 1.5.1 can connect to servers that are running 1.5. While it was not the last update to 1.5, it was the last one before the snapshots of 1.6.1 started.
A pre-release for 1.5.1 was released on March 19, 2013, known as just "1.5.1" in-game.
Hoppers now take empty buckets out of furnace fuel slots.
An FPS increase has been made, bringing performance levels back to what they were in 1.4.
9 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-1879 - Massive ping issues since 1.3.2.
- MC-2739 - Trapdoors and pressure plates (and maybe more) cause lighting problems.
- MC-7174 - OSX: Crash on startup (OpenGL "Function is not supported").
- MC-7191 - Hopper beneath furnace doesn't remove empty buckets.
- MC-11047 - After changing texture packs thrown Ender pearls and splash potions become other items.
- MC-11654 - Texts flow out of the frame.
- MC-11839 - Invalid potion effects crash the game.
- MC-11894 - Crash with invalid wool values.
- MC-12254 - Dispenser/Right click incorrectly puts on armor.
1.5.2 was a minor update, released on May 2, 2013. It was released to fix some of the bugs and crashes in 1.5 and 1.5.1. This is the last official Minecraft version that runs on PowerPC Mac computers.
A pre-release of 1.5.2 was released on April 25, 2013, though the release version is identical to this pre-release.
24 bugs have been fixed.
- MC-22 - Jukebox audio volume does not decrease.
- MC-502 - IllegalStateException::Entity is already tracked!
- MC-605 - Lighting glitch with inventory interfaces.
- MC-748 - Bad ping when offline.
- MC-1035 - Small Light Bug when sand falls / Falling sand and gravel turns purple or black.
- MC-1123 - SMP: Anvils charge level for nothing when using languages other than English.
- MC-2176 - FPS is VERY unreliable in singleplayer.
- MC-2652 - /spawnpoint or beds won't set your spawn point.
- MC-4253 - Endermen are rendered hostile if they take environmental damage.
- MC-5564 - Game sometimes stops NPCs and block-interfaces do not work.
- MC-8112 - Pick-Block and Furnaces.
- MC-8260 - Achievement "Hot Topic" uses faceless furnace icon.
- MC-11229 - Using the anvil for free.
- MC-11735 - Intel HD with driver 188.8.131.52xxx: Graphics flash until client is closed / Blocks and/or Mobs white/transparent.
- MC-11984 - Blocks get all green and red and flashing.
- MC-12133 - Arrows visually float when shot into a block.
- MC-12369 - Minecraft crashing on 1.5.1 pre-release Server.
- MC-12594 - 256x paintings not working.
- MC-12687 - Crash 100% CPU OOM Exception on Ticked Skeleton.
- MC-13206 - Minecraft is recreating textures every single frame and/or tick, which causes immense performance penalties when the textures are high res.
- MC-13259 - The game crashes whenever a skeleton fires 1~3 arrows at me and misses.
- MC-14221 - Blocks stop updating one minute after entering the Nether or the End.
- MC-16763 - Infinite power I bows glitch.