If you've blocked our ad, please consider unblocking it.
We promise it isn't annoying. No flash, no sound, ever.
Proto:Knuckles' Chaotix/1227 Prototype
This is a sub-page of Proto:Knuckles' Chaotix.
|Download Knuckles' Chaotix (1227 Prototype)
File: Knuckles' Chaotix (1227 Prototype).bin (4 MB) (info)
Knuckles' Chaotix Prototype 1227 for the 32X was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. The compile date on this proto is December 27, 1994.
- Sonic and Tails 1-up monitors are in this build.
- The sprite for Bomb's 1-up monitor is the design of the Bomb badnik from Sonic 1.
- Player Select still has a empty slot.
- Attraction select screen has palette glitches on Botanic Base, Techno Tower and Marina Madness.
- Combi (Comber in-game, due to overlaying COMBI and CATCHER) machine is present, but doesn't work.
- There is no sound while in rocket car, and after falling out of the building you get the Combi (NPC) select screen, with the usual 3 question marks.
- Heavy is still called Heaby.
- Cheat menus are accessible by Highlighting OPTION, then Pressing A + Start for Color Test, Pressing C + Start for Sound Test (with preliminary graphics), Pressing B + Start for Jam Out mode, which acts similar to Toejam & Earl. In Jam out mode press A, B, C, or Start to play the many different DAC samples. Up, Down, Left, or Right can be held to change between sound banks. A + B + C + Start will Exit the Jamout menu.
The title screen is also missing the trademark. The city is more visible and the road is missing. The U.S. region title screen says "Featuring Espio the Chameleon," unlike in the final version.
Gameplay and Graphics
- Knuckles features different climbing sprites in this build. Also worth noting that the control is sightly different. You have to keep [B] pressed to climb, otherwise Knuckles falls off.
- Double jumping and holding [Up] will make the unused character dubbed ******** or Wechinda fly. This no doubt was meant to be Tails.
- It's still called Knuckles Ring Star on the level title cards.
- The loops work in this version but it's hard to backtrack through them.
- Apparently, the only way to reach maximum "Ring Power" is by taking small steps after reaching the supposed maximum. Maybe this was made to test different hold distances?
- End signpost looks COMPLETELY different from final, much flatter (the other side is an eggman picture, remains the same in 1229).
- After 10 minutes, the minute counter becomes a ´, at least in Isolated Island.
- The Pause debug mode only allows moving in one axis at a time.
- There's SIX training levels, after which the game continues as would the final, with the 4 isolated island levels.
- Special stages require no blue spheres, but contain them.
- Regardless of how many rings you have, you still enter the Special Stage with 50, and collecting rings in it makes no ring collect sound. In fact, NOTHING makes a sound effect in the special stage, not even jumping. The second part of the special stage is unbeatable, as it contains no rings.
- If gliding into the Metal Sonic meetup, Espio will get stuck falling (and turns huge) unless the character moves left.