Proto:Mario Kart 64
This page details one or more prototype versions of Mario Kart 64.
A localization prototype of Mario Kadingche (Mario Kart 64) was found within the iQue Player leak. It is located at the path d1\routefree\bbgames\depot\release\pvt_20031022\zh\mk.rom (file modification date: 2003-10-22).
This build features numerous minor text differences, mainly in terms of translation, placement, spacing and size. A number of other differences are present as well:
- The title screen has the English logo, but uses the iQue "START" text. The Nintendo copyright information is omitted from the bottom.
- The main menu's title was smaller in size. A thinner font was used for main menu text.
- Options menu title was altered and more colorful. The text here is thinner and italicized.
- The course records screen also features italicized text, and different wording.
- Some character and track names have been localized slightly differently.
- The HUD still has the English "LAP" and character position text. Many other text elements during races are also still English. For example: Lakitu's signs, and various text when jumping or crashing.
- The starting line arches features text that is just plain white, but a bit larger.
- Has the original versions of the ads on billboards.
- There are italicized fonts in pause / time trial menus, as well as the race results screens.
- The number indicating the player's placement during the victory cutscene is not placed correctly and overlapping other text.
- Lakitu's starting countdown during VS. races is much quicker and abrupt.