User:Hiccup/Prerelease:New Super Mario Bros./2005
This is a sub-page of User:Hiccup/Prerelease:New Super Mario Bros..
- 1 May
- 2 June
- 3 August
- 4 October
- 5 November
- 6 References
- The multiplayer mode has the players making their way through a normal level, rather than competing for Big Stars in a small looping level.
- The Spindrift from Super Mario 64 DS can be seen.
- The Goombas now use 2D graphics.
- Press conference b-roll clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1208&v=dC0QkQ4t7Uw&feature=emb_title
- Show floor trailer (1, 2)
- Invincible players have a different rainbow effect.
- Trailer music an early version of the main Mario vs. Luigi theme, that is leftover (with a few small differences) in the final game.
- The wall jump sound is the same as the jump sound.
- The stomp sound is the "defeat enemy" sound from SM64DS.
- There is a thin variation of the tilting mushroom.
- The Big Dry Bones can be dismantled with just a stomp - no need for a ground-pound like in the final game.
- The flagpole has multiple differences
- The flag is red, something only reserved for flags with secret exits in the final.
- There is no end castle.
- The flag faces right
- The base of the flagpole is a used block, rather than a unique 2x2 base object.
- Spindrift's behaviour is seen towards the end of the trailer - it propels Mario into the air like in SM64DS. It was probably replaced with the Spin Block.
This is a later build than the E3 2005 trailer: the cave section in the Field level in the demo is more like the one that appears in the November Famitsu build than the one that appears in the trailer build, the swinging platform in the show floor trailer uses the unused SM64DS model and Mega Mario in the trailer uses normal Mario's falling animation, whereas it uses the final one in the demo.
- [get UltimatePisman info from youtube PM backup]
- [get mspeter's annotated unfinished level recreations]
- User:Hiccup/Prerelease:New Super Mario Bros./Old mspeter info [get date from youtube pm backup]
- Simpson55's 2017 E3 2005 info
- User:Hiccup/Prerelease:New Super Mario Bros./April 2018 mspeter info
- User:Hiccup/Prerelease:New Super Mario Bros./Feb 2020 mspeter info
- http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/10573/new-super-mario-bros-trailer (see comment at bottom of page)
- https://www.videogamer.com/previews/new-super-mario-bros-preview impressions (videogamer.com was formerly pro-g.co.uk)
- https://twitter.com/PressTheButtons/status/210552179436691456 person to contact to get vs demo info
- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fi_nsmb_ds ; Jun. 28th, 2005
- NGC Magazine issue 108 page 17
- TMK @ E32005 - Chupperson
- TMK @ E32005 - Luigison
- TMK @ E32005 - Watoad
- 任天堂ブースレポート その２ 「マリオカートDS」など最新のDSタイトルが多数登場 : んにぶろ
- Yuki Matsuzaki - ユウキの独り歩記: 2005年05月18日 アーカイブ
- Nintendo Official Magazine 155
- E3 2005
- https://archive.org/details/GBALRU5/page/n23/mode/2up suggests that at E3 only multiplayer was available?
- File:NSMB-prerelease-E3_2005-demo-impressions-NGamer_issue_4_of_2005-page_1.jpg, File:NSMB-prerelease-E3_2005-demo-impressions-NGamer_issue_4_of_2005-page_2.jpg
- NGC Magazine 109 - Mentions playing the game away from E3 crowds, but doesn't say where. Maybe Games Convention, as this was published in August. Says Mega Mushroom took three hits to get out of block. Also, one caption says: "You can battle with your brother or team up to play the normal levels [...]. Its all wireless, and some of it works with one cartridge".
- https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Vorschau/7170/3708/0/New_Super_Mario_Bros.html [seems to borrow from the GC press release a bit]
- the 2005 demo was playable at 6 locations across the uk as part of "Nintendo All Stars 05 Tour", apparently - https://archive.org/details/nintendo-official-magazine-uk-156-august-2005/page/16/mode/2up?q=%22new+super+mario+bros%22 https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news240605nintendotour https://rvnplnt.wordpress.com/2005/06/24/e3-05-uk-next-time-watch-it-on-g4/
- Ninten110 on YouTube recalls playing the demo at some sort of tech convention in the US, in 2004, 2005 or 2006. It also had demo versions of Nintendogs, Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS and the gold and silver Sony AIBO ERS-210 robotic dogs and the white ERS-311.
- Gamekult ; uploaded (2) Jun. 8th, 2005 ; unk event ; from around 2014 onwards, this page provided the video via a dailymotion embed https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19is2t
- JuexFrance ; uploaded Jun. 9th, 2005;"Nintendo France Event 2005" ; the event was organised by Nintendo for journalists to play demos. the footage was filmed by the former editor of gamekyo (then juexfrance) Antoine Morcos. http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article339279.html#article-blogging-comment-2733561. video link is dead, not on archive.org; mirror above sourced from this mirror from person I haven't been able to contact for original file https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3ZomBMDew ; this is another mirror by person I haven't been able to contact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxngXlv-RDw; there was also a mirror here by masterferna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuvJ126ih0, but this video was removed
- Samy Zakari ; uploaded Jun. 16th, 2005 (according to HTTP Header Last-Modified field of file URL) ; Was reuploaded to http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7708525767274344782 http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=7708525767274344782&hl=en&fs=true&authuser=1&pageId=109625833822029755613 description said: "short gameplay footage of the next mario bros coming to the nintendo DS. E3 demo version." then later was changed to "promotion movie". Replace "01" in the URL with "02" or "03" for the other two videos. ; unk event
- pelayo ; uploaded Sep. 14th, 2005 ; unk event
- Pro-G ; uploaded ~Jun. 24th, 2005 ; unk event
- nintendo world report
- the mushroom kingdom photos
Post-E3 Games Tour
This was actually multiple events in different places:
- Cosmo Hotel Palace, Cinisello Balsamo MI, Italy (src: Digilander)
- Nintendo of Europe, Grossostheim, Germany (src: Nintendo DS-Universe)
- An unknown club, Soho, London (src: N-Europe)
Games Convention 2005
The following media was released for/playable at Games Convention 2005, which was held from Aug. 17th to 21st.
See E3 2005 demo section.
todo: news website reference(s)
todo: get from CD
October ?th - Nintendo Power volume 196 released. Has preview with new screenshots. Despite seemingly being first released in October, these screenshots are in fact from a build identical or close to the E3 2005 trailer build - notice the early checkpoint ring appearance and the different coin circle.
DS Conference 2005
Was a video shown, like in DS Conference 2006?
Micromania Game Show
Took place on October 21st in Hall 8, Parc des Expositions, Paris.
See E3 2005 demo section.
Analyse/summarise new bits of info gleaned the translation
Translation by Ladios: File:NSMB-prerelease-Famitsu November-Translation.pdf
The DS Conference 2005 screenshot can also be found on the first page.
The apparent end of this underwater Mega Unagi section doesn't much resemble any part of either of the levels featuring the enemy in the final game (4-3 and 8-3). On a possibly unrelated note: both Mega Unagi levels have an invalid (or at least unknown) value set for Sprite Set 5, this isn't the case is most levels.
This screenshot shows an early design for the volcano levels. Revised versions of this early background, foreground and the tileset still exist in the final, but go unused.
This screenshot shows an early version of the Mini Mario bonus room that appears in World 8-2 in the final. It is the second bonus room that has moving platforms (the first being in World 6). And the second one with the 8-bit Mario sprite background that is is part of a mostly unused group of backgrounds (the first being in World 2). This may be one of the earlier bonus rooms.
|E3 2005 Trailer||Famitsu November 2005|
This looks like part of 6-1 in the final. The volcano background could suggest that:
- This level was in World 4 (when it had a volcano) or World 8 at some point.
- World 6 was a volcano world at some point.
- The volcano background was used as placeholder for the mountain background.
This event was also referred to as "Power Unlimited Gameplay"/"PU Gameplay" or "GameXpo" as it was sponsered by Power Unlimited and GameXpo. It took place during the HCC-dagen event, so may also be refered to by some as part of that event. The TMF Game Awards 2005 also took place at this event.
- Nintendo Games Convention 2005 press disc
- NINTENDO DSカンファレンス2005秋開催
- DS新作ソフト＆コンパニオンさんの写真集 [任天堂ゲーム All About]