The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.
Feel free to browse our collection of games and start reading. Up for research? Try looking at some stubs and see if you can help us out. Just have some faint memory of some unused menu/level you saw years ago but can't remember how to access it? Feel free to start a page with what you saw and we'll take a look.
Developer: Looking Glass
Publisher: Origin Systems
Released: 1994, DOS
System Shock is a fairly revolutionary action-adventure game, so much so that it would influence System Shock 2 and BioShock. Its engine was among the most state-of-the-art at the time, utilizing a physics engine and true 3D environments. It also has plenty of unused content.
A debug mode can be accessed in the CD-ROM version, allowing the player to experience a free movement mode. SHODAN has two alternate forms coded - a program version and a particle version of SHODAN's cyberspace avatar.
There are several textures, sprites and audio clips the game never uses.
Did You Know...
- ...that Iron Tank contains an angry screed by KNT, the game's programmer? (Don't worry, he got better.)
- ...that the Game Boy Camera has all of the content used in an undumped CoroCoro Comics version that was never released to the public?
- ...that there's an unused mask of Link's face in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask?
- ...that Mario has a model stretched to fit Luigi's proportions in Luigi's Mansion?
- ...that Side Arms Hyper Dyne uses "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to test the game's sound engine?
- ...that there's space in the NES Metroid cart for a save battery?
Want to contribute? Not sure where to begin? Visit the Help page for everything you need to get started, including...
- Instructions for creating and editing articles
- Guides that will help you find debug modes, unused graphics, hidden levels, and more
- A list of what needs to be done
We also have a sizable list of games that either don't have pages yet, or whose pages are in serious need of expansion. Check it out!