Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (Windows, Mac OS Classic, Mac OS X)
|Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings|
Developers: Ensemble Studios,
Westlake Interactive (Mac OS Classic)
This game has unused graphics.
|This article has just been started and needs the article basics added.|
Help us out and
Document alpha version.
NOTICE: This article deals with the original 1999 release and the 2001 expansion pack, The Conquerors. This will not cover any aspects exclusive to the HD versions of the game.
Various unused technology icons.
An unused dock with far more detail to it than a typical dock is present in the game's files. It most closely resembles the Western European dock.
An unused sea tower. In the HD version, it appears in one campaign scenario, which is part of "The Forgotten" DLC.
Unused Campaign Dialogue
- The sound files for the William Wallace campaign consist of several unused voice clips by an American-accented narrator. From "Feeding the Army", there is "Good! You found some gold." (which is used by the narrator in the final game); from "Training the Troops", there is "Now that you have a few soldiers, you will be able to defend this area against British attacks." (which is also used by the narrator in the infal game, but with "British" replaced with "English"); and from "Forge an Alliance", there is "A wild boar is routing through one of your Farms. You'd better dispose of him before he ruins your crops." "The Battle of Stirling", on the other hand, has multiple unused voice clips:
- "You have more than 500 food now, so you can advance to the Feudal Age. Remember, you need to have two Dark Age buildings first."
- "When moving soldiers, you can command them to follow a curved or zigzag path by placing waypoints."
- "To place a waypoint, click a soldier, and then hold down Shift before you right-click. A small flag indicates the waypoint. Set several waypoints, then right click the soldier's final destination."
- "To prepare for an English attack, train infantry at your Barracks. You can also build an Archery Range to train archers, or a Stable to train cavalry."
- "In the Feudal Age, you can build Watch Towers and Stone Walls. Go build a Watch Tower on the hill to the west with the dead tree on it. The Watch Tower will help protect the entrance to your town."
- "Wild boar can be hunted for food, but unlike deer, wild boar fight back. Send at least 6 villagers to hunt the boar, or else the wild boar could kill some of them."
- "Your soldiers will be more powerful if you improve their armour or weapons. Armour and weapons can be researched if you build a Blacksmith."
- "To win this scenario, build an army, locate the English base, and destroy it."
- This same American-accented voice is used for three additional voice clips that appear to be unused, but are actually from a scenario hidden in the Goodies folder of the CD:
- "Your armies are too close to my city. Stand down, or I will be forced to declare war!"
- "So be it! War it is, then! You will live to regret your invasion."
- "You have defeated me in honourable combat. If you can spare my life, I will give you all of my remaining resources."
- In "The Maid of Orléans", if one of the Trade Carts is destroyed, a French soldier was supposed to say, "We have failed in our mission! Orléans will not get the supplies it needs!" While it is triggered to play, the "You have been defeated!" splash screen occurs before it can show up.
- There is an unused voice clip in the sound files for "The Siege of Paris" of a French soldier saying, "Burgundy is coming! You are vastly outnumbered! Get the refugees into the fortress!"
- In "A Perfect Martyr", the British were supposed to say "Do I smell something burning?" at one point. There is no accompanying voice clip in the sound files.
- In "Lord of Arabia", Reynald's Raiders were supposed to say "Maird!" (or "Merde", French for "shit") when defeated. It was cut from the final game, likely for being a profanity, and there is no accompanying voice clip in the sound files.
- There is an unused "Charge!" voice clip in the sound files for "Pax Mongolia". In the final game, it instead uses the "Charge!" voice clip from "The Rising" and "Jihad!".
- In "Pope and Antipope", if Milan's cathedral is destroyed instead of converted, a Teutonic soldier was supposed to say, "We were supposed to make the cathedral our own, not turn it into a ruin! Now the Italians are sure to sympathise with the Pope, rather than with our emperor!" While it is triggered to play, the "You have been defeated!" splash screen occurs before it can show up.
|The Age of Empires series|
|Windows, Mac OS Classic||Age of Empires • Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings • Age of Empires II: HD Edition|
|PlayStation 2||Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings|
|Nintendo DS||Age of Empires: The Age of Kings|