The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.
Feel free to browse our collection of games and start reading. Up for research? Try looking at some stubs and see if you can help us out. Just have some faint memory of some unused menu/level you saw years ago but can't remember how to access it? Feel free to start a page with what you saw and we'll take a look.
Developer: Nintendo EAD Group No.4
Released: 2015, Wii U
Super Mario Maker is every Mario fan's dream come true; the ability to make their own courses. Longtime fans and newcomers can experiment with all possibilities like putting wings on Blocks or enemies, and even stacking a ton of Piranha Plants on top of a Firebar. It was so well-received, it even got a 3DS port.
This game contains a LOT of leftovers including items with different graphic styles, early variants of items, and even leftovers of items from an earlier iteration of Splatoon!
It is quite an interesting read. Read more...
Did You Know...
- ...that Yujix Terada hid his name in Dirty Pair: Project Eden by placing it in the overscan area at the bottom of the screen?
- ...that there's text in Perfect Dark for Game Boy Camera support?
- ...that Huitzil from Darkstalkers probably has more unused moves than used?
- ...that an Asteroids Easter egg was planned for the automap in Doom?
- ...that Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat 3 have fake character names that were deliberately put in to fool people poking around in the code?
- ...that Kirby was supposed to have a Mini ability as early as Kirby's Adventure?
Want to contribute? Not sure where to begin? Visit the Help page for everything you need to get started, including...
- Instructions for creating and editing articles
- Guides that will help you find debug modes, unused graphics, hidden levels, and more
- A list of what needs to be done
We also have a sizable list of games that either don't have pages yet, or whose pages are in serious need of expansion. Check it out!