The Cutting Room Floor is a site dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games. From debug menus, to unused music, graphics, enemies, or levels, many games have content never meant to be seen by anybody but the developers — or even meant for everybody, but cut due to time/budget constraints.
Feel free to browse our collection of games and start reading. Up for research? Try looking at some stubs and see if you can help us out. Just have some faint memory of some unused menu/level you saw years ago but can't remember how to access it? Feel free to start a page with what you saw and we'll take a look.
Released: 1990, Super Nintendo
Super Mario World was Nintendo's first title for the SNES, and it was rushed to release for this reason, leaving a lot of unfinished content.
It contains a wealth of unused levels, some of which are from extremely early in development. There's also a lot of unused objects, from a classic Piranha Plant to a ceiling full of Swoopers – all the way to an unused screen-sized cage!
All this, combined with a lot of interesting early graphics from the SNES Test ROM and magazine preview screenshots, reveals that Super Mario World was originally intended to be a very different game: Super Mario Bros. 4.
Did You Know...
- ...that Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball has a birth announcement hidden in the code?
- ...that Mario Paint has hidden features that are disabled by default?
- ...that Huitzil from Darkstalkers probably has more unused moves than used?
- ...that an Asteroids Easter egg was planned for the automap in Doom?
- ...that Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat 3 have fake character names that were deliberately put in to fool people poking around in the code?
- ...that Kirby was supposed to have a Mini ability as early as Kirby's Adventure?
Want to contribute? Not sure where to begin? Visit the Help page for everything you need to get started, including...
- Instructions for creating and editing articles
- Guides that will help you find debug modes, unused graphics, hidden levels, and more
- A list of what needs to be done
We also have a sizable list of games that either don't have pages yet, or whose pages are in serious need of expansion. Check it out!