Barbarian (DOS, Mastertronic)
This game has debugging material.
Barbarian is a platforming game that oddly enough uses mouse controls to give commands to your character (e.g. jump, slash), and that is one of the earliest examples of digitized speech on the PC. The object of the game is to make your way through all the screens to the evil temple, slashing anything in your way in half, and destroy the evil round object by throwing it into the volcano. After this, the timer starts to operate in reverse and you must leave the place before it reaches zero (at which point the volcano erupts).
Barbarian includes a view mode which allows you to see all enemies, traps, moves and rooms. To enter the view mode, press 4 at the control selection screen to view the barbarian, or press 5 to view the monsters (the regular options are labeled 1 through 3). Then, start to play the game and you can view the sprites.
- Press Space Bar to cycle between move steps.
- Press 1 to see a full motion cycle on the current move.
- Press Shift-S to cycle between moves and/or monsters.
- Press Shift-W to cycle between weapons (in barbarian view mode).
- Press Shift-M to cycle between map rooms.
- Press Enter to cycle between sprite parts.
- Press Cursor Arrows to move current sprite part around.
- Press Shift-U, D, L, R to move the entire sprite around.