Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
|Cadillacs and Dinosaurs|
This game has debugging material.
Fill out the Debug Test Menu sub-section. This game also has unused graphics, unused tracks and regional differences.
Not to be confused with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm. That said, it still contains motor vehicles and cool lizards.
To enable, hold Player 1 A, B, Coin, Up, and Right at the same time while the game boots. This will also have to be done when exiting the test menu. If that's too much effort, you can just force the byte at $FF84AA (on the Japanese ROM set) to non-zero. This is also exceptionally hard on MAME, which simulates the coin button as a pulse rather than a constant signal.
From here, the rest of the debug mode is controlled by the 3 on-board DIP switches. As of the time this is being written, MAME does not expose these DIP switches, so you will have to get a bit dirty and override them yourself in memory. They're at $FF8022 (on the Japanese ROM set) for 3 bytes, you will need to remove the game's read code in order to modify these.
Debug mode will also give you access to a special version of the test menu with more options, including some game data editing and viewing.
- DIP SWITCH A1-A3: Change the starting level. For example, if A1 and A3 are on, you will start on stage 6.
- DIP SWITCH A6-A8: The game speed is divided by the value here times 4. That is, if A7 and A8 are on, the game runs at 1/24th speed. If the value is zero, the game runs at normal speed.
- DIP SWITCH B4: If set, the player cannot be hit, effectively making the player invincible.
- DIP SWITCH B5: Puts up a cross-hatch on the screen.
- DIP SWITCH B6: Puts up some debugging numbers on the screen.
- DIP SWITCH B7: Game always runs in "turbo" speed (as if holding a button during a cutscene).
- DIP SWITCH B8: Turn on object debugging sprites.
- DIP SWITCH C2: No objects will take damage, including the player and enemies.
- DIP SWITCH C3: Player does ridiculous amounts of damage.
- DIP SWITCH C6: Turns on autofire for the player's attack button.
Debug Test Menu
|This needs some investigation.|
Discuss ideas and findings on the talk page.