This game has a prototype article
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
Driver follows the story of NYPD officer and former racing driver John Tanner being sent undercover by his boss Lieutenant McKenzie to discover the intentions of a crime syndicate led by Castaldi in Miami.
Inside the level files for Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles New York and Desert training can be found an old title screen:
- Note: this is originally split in 4 parts and has been merged for presentation purposes.
An unused texture can be found in a few of the level files:
In the Newcastle level file can be found the beta version of PLAYERCAR1:
In the Desert training level file can be found an unused version of PLAYERCAR1 with a different paintjob:
In the Interview level:
- Beta version of COPCAR:
- Beta version of PLAYERCAR1 with final textures:
In the Motel room level:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR2:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR3:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR5:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR7:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR8:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR11:
- Unused beta version of PLAYERCAR12:
The cutscene "RENDER25.MPG" is intended to play at the ending of the Miami mission "Case For A Key". While it does play in the PS1 version of the game, it doesn't work in this version, probably because of a programming error.
- Swearing is bleeped in the US version.
- Mission files 32 and 342 have small edits to the comments in the US version. NotSoQuickRender 45, -1 in mission342 is commented out in the US version.
- Apart from minor localisation differences between American and British English, Keyboard Redefine is simply Redefine and Redefine: is Key Redefine: in the EU/UK version.
The logo is different in the US version's loading screen:
EU/UK Copyright screen has GT Interactive Software (Europe) Ltd. while the US screen has GT Interactive Software Corporation:
A later European Best of Infogrames release has updated drivers on the disc and contains no DRM, enabling the game being able to be played without the CD in the disc drive, but this causes the CD-audio music to not be played.
The Driver series
|PlayStation||Driver (Prototypes) • Driver 2|
|Windows||Driver (Demo) • Driv3r • Parallel Lines • San Francisco|
|Game Boy Color||Driver|
|Game Boy Advance||Driv3r (Prototypes)|
|PlayStation 2, Xbox||Driv3r • Parallel Lines (Prototype)|
|PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac OS X||San Francisco|
|Wii||Parallel Lines • San Francisco|