Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (Nintendo 64)
|Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko|
A rather direct port of the PlayStation version with some minor differences.
Level Select Cheat
A hidden level select cheat, previously undiscovered in button code form, can be inputted with button combos while on the pause menu. This is the same cheat that can be accessed in-game with Gex Vault codes. Press the following buttons while holding the R button in the pause screen:
|Pause Screen Inputs||Reward|
|While holding R, press: B, A, B, Z, C-Left, C-Right, C-Up, Z.||Grants access to a level select option.|
A couple of error strings can be found at 0x124770 in the ROM.
Error - missile script tune data missing Error - missile script tune data in wrong format
See if this can be displayed in-game.
A developer message that can be found a few times in the ROM.
hank is feeble minded!
High-Res Newspaper Texture
During the ending, Alfred is seen reading a newspaper. Normally this texture would be unreadable due to the filtering and low resolution of the N64, but internally the texture is stored at a higher resolution which makes it readable.
Cut Off Credits
Any proof that names get cut off, and can the cut-off names be found in the ROM or shown in-game somehow?
During the credits, when the "Special Thanks" section starts, only one name is shown and then the game abruptly ends the sequence and goes back to the intro.
Several things were changed and/or removed between the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 versions.
- The PS1 intro FMV was replaced with a few still photos of magazine covers showing Gex and Xtra, while Alfred narrates that Agent Xtra was kidnapped.
- The PS1 ending FMV was replaced with a cutscene showing Alfred on the beach congratulating you. If you collected all the Remotes, the PS1 version would show pictures of the development team. On the N64, you just get an extra line by Alfred congratulating you on finding everything.
- The credit sequence is different between both versions.
- The sexual innuendos between Gex and Agent Xtra were removed.
- The levels in the Mythology Network channel have different layouts in both versions. Also, the names are different. It's called "Unsolved Mythstories" in the PS1 version, and "Et Tu Gecko?" in the N64 version.
- The level in the Fairytales TV channel have different names in both versions. It's called "Red Riding in the Hood" in the PS1 version, and "Bean Stalker" in the N64 version.
- The New York-type city bonus stage changed/removed a lot of the signs and smut.
- Two PS1 secret levels, "Dial "A" for Arson" and "Braveheartless", were replaced on the N64 version with new levels called "Peg Leg Polka" and "Temple of Gloom".
The Gex series
|PlayStation||Gex • Gex: Enter the Gecko • Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko|
|Nintendo 64||Gex 64: Enter the Gecko • Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko|
|Game Boy (Color)||Gex: Enter the Gecko • Gex 3: Deep Pocket Gecko|