Mortal Kombat II (SNES)
|Mortal Kombat II|
Also known as: Mortal Kombat II: Kyuukyoku Shinken (JP)
This game has regional differences.
This game has a prototype article
This game has a prerelease article
After the massive controversy about how Nintendo's content guidelines took out half the point of the first game and proved that "Genesis Does What Nintendon't", the go-ahead was given for more violent games to appear on Nintendo platforms. As such, the SNES Mortal Kombat II was practically arcade-perfect, except you didn't have to shove coins into your cartridge slot every ten seconds when fighting the ever-cheap bosses.
The Japanese version is unique in that it has...censorship. Blood is recolored green, and the game palette fades into greyscale when a Fatality begins (except for The Bridge's Stage Fatality). Although Japan is generally more tolerant of violence in the media than other cultures, it is much less tolerant toward the graphic dismemberment of humans, which is probably the reason why this was changed. It's notably the only Japanese release of the series to feature any edits; all other versions of Mortal Kombat II released there (including the Japanese-exclusive PlayStation port) as well as subsequent titles in the series (the few they got, anyway) were not edited in any way.
- The original US release (v1.0) does not show the fighting demonstration during the intro. This was added in v1.1 and carried over to the Japanese and European releases.
- Also added in the v1.1 release is the animated Sculptured Software Inc. screen on startup. However, in both European versions (the Japanese version is unaffected), the animation has no sound.
- Pages missing developer references
- Games developed by Sculptured Software
- Pages missing publisher references
- Games published by Acclaim Entertainment
- Games published by Acclaim Japan
- SNES games
- Pages missing date references
- Games released in 1994
- Games with regional differences
- Games with revisional differences
- Mortal Kombat series
Cleanup > Pages missing date references
Cleanup > Pages missing developer references
Cleanup > Pages missing publisher references
Games > Games by content > Games with regional differences
Games > Games by content > Games with revisional differences
Games > Games by developer > Games developed by Throwback Entertainment > Games developed by Acclaim Entertainment > Games developed by Acclaim Studios Salt Lake City > Games developed by Sculptured Software
Games > Games by platform > SNES games
Games > Games by publisher > Games published by Throwback Entertainment > Games published by Acclaim Entertainment
Games > Games by publisher > Games published by Throwback Entertainment > Games published by Acclaim Entertainment > Games published by Acclaim Japan
Games > Games by release date > Games released in 1994
Games > Games by series > Mortal Kombat series