Proto:A Hat in Time (Windows, Mac OS X)/Beta
This is a sub-page of Proto:A Hat in Time (Windows, Mac OS X).
|This game is still under active development.|
Be aware that any unused content you find may become used or removed in the future. Please only add things to the article that are unlikely to ever be used, or went unused for some time. If they do get used, please remove them from the page and specify in the edit summary!
The Beta build of A Hat in Time was distributed to Kickstarter/slacker backers from March 7, 2015 to September 13th, 2017. Similar to other prerelease builds, the Beta has BETA BUILD: FAR FROM FINISHED printed at the bottom of the screen while in-game.
- 1 Unused Cinematics
- 2 Inaccessible areas
- 3 Inaccessible Time Piece
- 4 Unused Textures
- 5 Revisional Differences
Several unused cinematics can be found using the console. There are four unused cinematics in Mafia Town (both normal and rain variants), named cine1, cine2, cine3, and cine4. There is also one unused cinematic in Mafia HQ titled rs. The description for this is "Rhythm Segment" implying there would have been a rhythm game battle against one of the Mafia chefs. The cinematic doesn't do much though, and never ends.
While much more complete than its Alpha counterpart, the Beta Spaceship Hub is still unfinished; all areas that can't be accessed normally through gameplay are very clearly a work in progress.
- The domed slide room has seen virtually no changes since the Alpha, besides getting a different set of placeholder textures.
- Behind the 30 timepiece door is a pod machine floating in an empty void, complete with steering wheel and colorful buttons. Also visible in this area is what appears to be an elevator mechanism beneath the Mafia Town hub room's oven.
- Mafia HQ has a secret underground poker room that's inaccessible in normal gameplay. In this same area is a second room with an inoperable door.
- Hidden on the same island as in the Alpha build is a tent with a blackboard inside of it, complete with the writing of a slightly miffed level designer. Within this same tent is a chest that contains a single measly green orb.
- W.T.N is short for William T. Nicholls, Gears for Breakfast's art director and level designer.
- An absurdly large collectible orb, floating on top of a coconut tree. It emits the same sparkling noise hourglasses make, and when collected adds one orb to your counter.
- On the opposite side of the island is what appears to be a cinderblock...that on closer inspection, is a gravestone that uses a basic alphabet cipher to obfuscate the text. When translated, the headstone reads:
HERE LIES MY DAD WHO LOVED ME WITH ALL OF HIS HEART AND KNEW I COULD ALWAYS BE A SUCCESS IN ALL THAT I DID
- A strange flying object found in the skybox of Mafia Town. The object is titled as "flyinghouse" The object instantly kills the player upon aproaching it.
- The object shows up on the Day, Night, and both Modular versions of the Mafia Town map.
- The strange object in a model viewer.
Inaccessible Time Piece
A time piece, called "beachrace" or "Balloon Race in Mafia Town", is leftover from the Alpha build.
Ice Statue Badge
An icon for an unimplemented Ice Statue badge.
Timmy Loading Screen
Loading screen art for Timmy, who was originally intended to be the second playable character in co-op and New Game+. Neither mode was available in the Beta, and Timmy's role in the final game was replaced by Bow Kid.
A meter that, going by its name, is meant to tell the player how much cocoa they have. Variants exist of this graphic that show the container ⅔ full, ⅓ full, and empty. Cocoa isn't a commodity that's possible to collect in the Beta, so this meter isn't ever seen, It was meant to be used in the cut chapter Sand 'n Sails.
Return to the Penguin
An unused text graphic, titled Moon_hunt_return.tga.
A leftover from the 2013 prototype, used by a rapping Mafia member in the prototype version of Mafia Town. The rapper, his stage, and his audience were all removed in the Alpha version of Mafia Town onwards, leaving this texture unused.
An inventory icon of a mysterious moon tablet. This is most likely an unused key item as it is nowhere seen in the Beta build.
On the beta's release, Act 5 of Mafia Town was titled "The Impossible Race?". After Gears for Breakfast repeatedly received inquiries asking whether or not the various ways of cheating the race were intentional, the act's title was changed to "Cheating the Race".