Proto:Batman Returns (SNES)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page details one or more prototype versions of Batman Returns (SNES).
A prototype was discovered in a Japanese store in Fall 2003. It appears to have been intended for Japanese game stores.
- Despite being intended for the Japanese market, this build is based on the NTSC-U version, as proven, among other things, by these ending screens (which don't exist in the final NTSC-J version).
- The gameplay demos that play if you let the title screen idle show the same stages as the demos in the final versions of the game, though the actual gameplay differs.
- This message, which translates to "The most talked about title of 1992 is now on the SFC!", appears every two demos.
- Continues are disabled on the "Game Over" screen, but are still present in the game's code. CPU memory address $00070 shows the number of continues during gameplay, and it is "03", the final's default number. Also, the cheat code to increase the number of continues works in this build.
- The game abruptly ends after Stage 2-1, after which these two screens appear. The first one uses the same Catwoman image as on the final's Easy and Normal ending screen, while the latter's message translates to "Available February 26 - Listed price 8800 yen".
- Despite the above, the rest of the levels are present and fully functional with the use of cheat codes, though the above screens will appear after every -1 stage (3-1, 4-1, etc.).