Proto:Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PlayStation)/November 1996 Tech Demo
From The Cutting Room Floor
< Proto:Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PlayStation)(Redirected from Proto:Croc: Legend of the Gobbos/November 1996 Tech Demo)
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
This is a sub-page of Proto:Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PlayStation).
This was a prerelease of Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. It was first shown on November 6, 1996, and is the earliest known release for the game. The game has numerous differences between this version and the final build.
* Add section for gameplay differences.
- Upon booting the game up, there is a piracy warning screen (also seen in the final European version of the game), as well as a different Argonaut Games logo animation.
- The title screen is different.
- If you wait at the title screen for about a minute, a storybook-style introduction will appear explaining Croc's different moves.
- Longer loading, as well as a different loading screen.
- There is no saving, and when you lose all of your lives, you have to start over from the beginning.
- World map is just a single picture, with an icon of Croc's head moving across the screen, sort of like Donkey Kong Country.
- You can't go back to levels you've completed; you can only start the next one.
- Movement is a bit slippery, sort of like when you are on ice in the final game. When stopping, Croc does a little skid.
- Croc moves slightly forward when jumping.
- Croc climbs monkey bars much slower, and you need to keep holding X while climbing in order to not fall off.
- Camera cannot be adjusted using any of the buttons.
- Doing the 180-degree flip is changed to Triangle instead of Circle, whereas Circle now makes Croc crouch.
- The HUD now shows the number of crystals and three Gobbos. The lives counter appears whenever you lose/gain one, and it appears while going to the next level. When one of the Gobbos is collected, the corresponding Gobbo on the HUD holds a white flag.
- When collecting a bag of seeds, you gain a 1-up. Also, Beany Bird appears and briefly follows Croc for no reason.
(Source: Croc Wiki)