Proto:Knuckles' Chaotix/1227 Prototype
This is a sub-page of Proto:Knuckles' Chaotix.
|Download Knuckles' Chaotix (1227 Prototype)
File: Knuckles' Chaotix (1227 Prototype).bin (4 MB) (info)
Knuckles' Chaotix Prototype 1227 for the 32X was released by drx during the February 23rd, 2008 proto release. The compile date on this proto is December 27, 1994. Interestingly, this prototype sets a trend until Prototype 0119; it's 4 MB, whereas Prototype 1207, Prototype 0202, and the final ROM are only 3 MB.
- Many of the things listed in Prototype 1207 exist here as well. The Sonic & Tails monitor graphics and unused player slot still exist. Knuckles features different climbing sprites and his climbing behavior is still the same. The title cards still display "Knuckles' Ring Star." The character select screen has not changed.
- When starting Scenario Quest, you are immediately dropped into the World Entrance stage, and Espio is your partner.
- The sound driver still has not been updated yet, leading to horrible screeches in the music like in Prototype 1207.
- Attraction select screen has palette glitches on Botanic Base, Techno Tower and Marina Madness.
- Combi (Comber in-game, due to overlaying COMBI and CATCHER) machine is present, but doesn't work.
- There is no sound while in the rocket car, and after falling out of the building you get the Combi (NPC) select screen, with the usual 3 question marks.
- Heavy is still called Heaby.
The title screen is also missing the trademark. The city is more visible and the road is missing. The title itself has a different, more neon gradient. The U.S. region title screen says "Featuring Espio the Chameleon," unlike in the final version.
- Cheat menus are accessible by Highlighting OPTION, then Pressing A + Start for Color Test, Pressing C + Start for Sound Test (with preliminary graphics), Pressing B + Start for Jam Out mode, which acts similar to Toejam & Earl. In Jam out mode press A, B, C, or Start to play the many different DAC samples. Up, Down, Left, or Right can be held to change between sound banks. A + B + C + Start will Exit the Jamout menu.
Gameplay and Graphics
- This is the first prototype where we're able to see the unused character in action. Pressing and holding Up and Jump will make the character fly. As mentioned in the 1207 prototype article, this is more proof of Tails' planned inclusion in Chaotix.
- Loops in levels work in this version, but it's hard to backtrack through them.
- Apparently, the only way to reach maximum "Ring Power" is by taking small steps after reaching the supposed maximum. Maybe this was made to test different hold distances?
- End signpost looks completely different from the final game. It is much flatter. (The other side is an Eggman picture, which remains the same in 1229).
- After 10 minutes, the minute counter becomes a ´, at least in Isolated Island.
- Free movement/debug mode only allows moving in one axis at a time.
- There are six training levels, after which the game continues as would the final, with the 4 Isolated Island levels.
- Special stages require no blue spheres, but do contain them.
- Regardless of how many rings you have, you still enter the Special Stage with 50, and collecting rings in it makes no ring collect sound. In fact, nothing makes a sound effect in the special stage, not even jumping. The second part of the special stage is unbeatable, as it contains no rings.
- If gliding into the Metal Sonic meetup, Espio will get stuck falling (and turns huge) unless the character moves left.