If you've blocked our ad, please consider unblocking it.
We promise it isn't annoying. No flash, no sound, ever.
Proto:Mega Man 64
This page details one or more prototype versions of Mega Man 64.
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
Get screenshots of all the test rooms, uncover the build date if possible, spot all remaining PS1 content left over (buttons, CD content etc.), screenshot of oddities (dialog boxes, incorrect textures, audio) and well, a bit of everything.
This prototype of Mega Man 64 highlights the game's development early in the porting process, presumably at a point when it had just begun the transition. No build date is currently known.
On January 10, 2016 — fifteen years after the game's US release — this prototype was released to the public after being recovered from a Nintendo 64 development cartridge, which contained two and a half copies of the same data, starting at offsets 0x0, 0x19D9190, and 0x33B2320, which means the actual game is approximately 26MB, smaller than the final game's 32MB size.
Only one audio track exists throughout the game and it plays in every area you explore. Despite the platform it's on, the prototype still calls for PlayStation button layout input for dialog boxes, most voice acting outside of essential cutscenes is missing (which would explain the smaller ROM size), and there's even leftover references to using the game as an audio CD, particularly in the CD shop inside the Apple Market. The following video highlights these and more on the bottom-right:
Pressing C-Right while on the title screen's menu opens the main debug menu. During cutscenes, open dialogue boxes, or boss battles pressing C-Up and C-Right brings up the SCE_FLAG options
- STAGE: Selects the stage to load; maximum is 0x1E.
- AREA: Selects the stage's sub-area to load; maximum value depends on STAGE.
- SCENARIO: Alters what events are taking place in the Stage and Area; maximum is 0x0F.
- SCE_FLAG: Changes current active and inactive events in game including doors, chests, items in your possession, and completed segments; maximum is 0x7FF.
- N_ITEEM: Gives access to all Normal Items, including unused ones.
- K_ITEEM: Gives access to all Key Items.
- R_PARTS: Gives access to all Buster Parts.
- S_WEAPON: Gives access to all Special Weapons.
- ZENNY_MAX: Gives 9999990 Zenny.
- LIFE_MAX: Gives the full-size life gauge.
- KANTAN: Gives access to certain items (Jet Skates for faster movement, Buster Max part for maximum Buster stats), presumably to make debugging easier ("kantan" or "簡単" translates to "easy").
Holding L or Z while changing the SCE_FLAG option will increase or decrease the value by 0x100. Holding R will increase or decrease it by 0x10.