Proto:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)/August 21st, 1992/Oil Ocean Zone
This is a sub-page of Proto:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)/August 21st, 1992.
Oil Ocean has been worked on since the Simon Wai prototype, though there are a few leftovers.
- The stage layout in both acts are close to being completed, but some chunk definitions haven't been changed from the Simon Wai prototype; thusly, some things look quite odd.
- Object layouts haven't been changed from the Simon Wai prototype.
Like the previous prototypes, the sun uses a basic static graphic; it became animated starting with Beta 5.
Submarine Eggman II's lasers and flames use Sonic's palette in Beta 4, which would be fine if Super Sonic wasn't programmed in. From Beta 5 on, the game loads a unique cyan palette during the boss fight.
- The stage still uses the Casino Night Zone 2-Player theme; the final Oil Ocean theme is used in Zone 03.
- The stage does lock at the end of the stage, but the signpost/boss hasn't been placed yet.
- The beginning is missing the lift, meaning it's impossible to progress without Debug Mode.
- The background still features the pipe at the start, which was removed starting with CENSOR to save VRAM.
- The lifts have now been extended to fit the lift corridors.
- Launching platforms now have flames, which were missing in the Simon Wai prototype. The green flames also have the ability of hurting Super Sonic.
- Oil slides still have no effect.