Proto talk:Pokémon Gold and Silver
I want to note that I have yet to play the Demo, but I believe that Water Sport should be looked at again. This page claims that it does damage, something that does not happen in the Gen III games. I believe that this is another example of a move altered between the Demo and the official debut of a move. --Sgv Sth (talk) 18:55, 31 May 2018 (EDT)
Prelim table for moveset differences
Blue: Moves swapped between versions.
|Stun Spore||Stun Spore||Stun Spore|
|Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed|
|Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip|
|Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder|
|Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf|
|Sweet Scent||Sweet Scent||Sweet Scent|
|Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth|
|Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam|
- There's unused overworld sprites that appear corrupted. The sprites start at 0xC0000. The first corrupted sprite is at 0xC3E40. The rest are located at 0xC6640, they are from Gen I and have the Elite Four and the original RED sprite fishing and on the bike.
- There appears to be presumably unused menu options for the overworld. All the menu options start at 0x11E44, with the two unused ones last.
- The trainer sprite is slightly different from the final.
- The POKEMON and PACK option are switched in this demo during battle.Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 13:44, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
- Also the title screen has an easter egg. When you exit out of debug mode, the flames are replaced with music notes:
- Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 14:25, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
Link Cable Club Analysis
I ran some tests regarding using the Link Cable Club in the Pokemon Gold Spaceworld 1997 demo with various games. I used TGB Dual for testing, both standalone and the Retroarch core. You NEED to change the rom extension to .gb for Link Cable Club to work. I have multiple screenshots included in this zip file. https://mega.nz/#!6S4GEKRI!g6u4KTWxqgdCku80Y567nqI6aok5GnLZbsTzvsjm6gM I'm wondering where this information could be added to this wiki page? I'll list my findings here.
Linking with Pokemon Gold and Silver Spaceworld 1997 demos:
- I used the debug menu with both instances of the game to warp to the second town, as it has a Pokemon Center with a trading facility, and caught a Gen1 Pokemon in one instance
- Trading works fine; its interface is the same as in Gen1
- Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DJOzAmvws
- Both trainers had different trainer IDs
- Battling works fine and is playable, but the Trainer text is garbled; freeze upon re-battling
- Battle video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbW8iqQs4EM
- Held items used in Linked VS are gone forever after use
- Bonus Gold and Silver Cable Club showcase video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-zfouWN9is
Linking with Pokemon Aka (Red) Rev 1:
- Gold still checks whether or not your party is Gen1 compatible
- Gold is transported to a Gen1 Pokemon center after using the time capsule
- Gold can only select to trade from a blank menu; battling does not work
- Trading works fine; no problems as Gold's trading is Gen1 trading
- With trading, you can send a Gold 97 monster all the way to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Linking with Pokemon Yellow Rev 0A:
- Trading functions the same way as Red
- You can trade Pikachu, but Pikachu is not special in any way and will not be holding its light ball in Gold
- Pikachu is still shiny in Gold
Linking with Pokemon Ao (Blue) Glitchmon:
- I caught three missingno using the Mew Glitch, trainer locations are marked in the zip screenshots
- All three missingno crash Blue when viewing their stats in Blue
- Trading interface works and Gold is able to view the three missingno as Gen2 Pokemon (Elebaby, Skiploom, and Jumpluff)
- Blue Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmZ14Tl-30
- Gold cannot obtain any Missingno from Blue as it checks the Pokemon before finalizing the trade
Linking with Pokemon Gin (Silver) and Pokemon Crystal:
- Attempted to have Gold trade and battle with Silver's Totodile and Kakuna, then just Kakuna, but nothing was successful
- Gold is able to access the trade room, but Gold crashes when waiting for Silver. Silver behaves normally and states the connection has failed
- Time capsule does not function at all
- Crystal has the same behavior as Silver
Different palettes and formats for graphics on this page.
I see that some people are uploading GIFs of their rips while others are not. Additionally, I see people using different palettes for their rips. Should we agree on a certain palette and format?Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 20:59, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
I personally was just about to comment on this myself before I saw your post lol. Personally I think we should use a specific pallete. The night palletes aren't that great tbh for the NPC's. I think we should use grayscale for sprites that would otherwise change color (NPC and overworld sprites namely) and use the SGB colors for whatever has a specific color. As for file formats, unless the gifs are animated, I see no point in breaking the PNG only rule that's been agreed upon for years. Glisp (talk) 09:53, 2 June 2018 (EDT)
Chansey game corner animation.
I can confirm. It's there in the final. Chansey throws eggs at the slot machine. It's one of the rarer anti-777 events that happens. Though I'm not sure Chansey uses those sprites. I think it got brand new ones. I'd have to look again to be sure though. Glisp (talk) 09:54, 2 June 2018 (EDT)
In the future, it would be nice to make a separate article for dialogue translation rather than pasting an inaccurate translation in between download links and info about said download links. --TeganGibby (talk) 02:39, 4 June 2018 (EDT)
Found out how to change the tile set and unused debug functions.
So, like Japanese Crystal, there are several unused debug entries. One of them is labeled cell. I would recommend replacing the close and next page options with the unused entries. With cell, you can change the tileset between 3 entries, labeled cell 1, cell 2, and cell 3. With this, you can restore the collision detection of grass in certain routes, among possibly other oddities. The only other unused entry that’s worth noting is items, but unfortunately, that crashes the game. -Hexatendo (talk) 18:40, 22 December 2018 (EST)