Proto talk:Pokémon Gold and Silver
I want to note that I have yet to play the Demo, but I believe that Water Sport should be looked at again. This page claims that it does damage, something that does not happen in the Gen III games. I believe that this is another example of a move altered between the Demo and the official debut of a move. --Sgv Sth (talk) 18:55, 31 May 2018 (EDT)
Prelim table for moveset differences
Blue: Moves swapped between versions.
|Stun Spore||Stun Spore||Stun Spore|
|Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed||Leech Seed|
|Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip||Vine Whip|
|Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder|
|Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf||Razor Leaf|
|Sweet Scent||Sweet Scent||Sweet Scent|
|Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth||Sleep Powder||Growth|
|Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam||Solar Beam|
- There's unused overworld sprites that appear corrupted. The sprites start at 0xC0000. The first corrupted sprite is at 0xC3E40. The rest are located at 0xC6640, they are from Gen I and have the Elite Four and the original RED sprite fishing and on the bike.
- There appears to be presumably unused menu options for the overworld. All the menu options start at 0x11E44, with the two unused ones last.
- The trainer sprite is slightly different from the final.
- The POKEMON and PACK option are switched in this demo during battle.Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 13:44, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
- Also the title screen has an easter egg. When you exit out of debug mode, the flames are replaced with music notes:
- Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 14:25, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
Link Cable Club Analysis
I ran some tests regarding using the Link Cable Club in the Pokemon Gold Spaceworld 1997 demo with various games. I used TGB Dual for testing, both standalone and the Retroarch core. You NEED to change the rom extension to .gb for Link Cable Club to work. I have multiple screenshots included in this zip file. https://mega.nz/#!6S4GEKRI!g6u4KTWxqgdCku80Y567nqI6aok5GnLZbsTzvsjm6gM I'm wondering where this information could be added to this wiki page? I'll list my findings here.
Linking with Pokemon Gold and Silver Spaceworld 1997 demos:
- I used the debug menu with both instances of the game to warp to the second town, as it has a Pokemon Center with a trading facility, and caught a Gen1 Pokemon in one instance
- Trading works fine; its interface is the same as in Gen1
- Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DJOzAmvws
- Both trainers had different trainer IDs
- Battling works fine and is playable, but the Trainer text is garbled; freeze upon re-battling
- Battle video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbW8iqQs4EM
- Held items used in Linked VS are gone forever after use
- Bonus Gold and Silver Cable Club showcase video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-zfouWN9is
Linking with Pokemon Aka (Red) Rev 1:
- Gold still checks whether or not your party is Gen1 compatible
- Gold is transported to a Gen1 Pokemon center after using the time capsule
- Gold can only select to trade from a blank menu; battling does not work
- Trading works fine; no problems as Gold's trading is Gen1 trading
- With trading, you can send a Gold 97 monster all the way to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Linking with Pokemon Yellow Rev 0A:
- Trading functions the same way as Red
- You can trade Pikachu, but Pikachu is not special in any way and will not be holding its light ball in Gold
- Pikachu is still shiny in Gold
Linking with Pokemon Ao (Blue) Glitchmon:
- I caught three missingno using the Mew Glitch, trainer locations are marked in the zip screenshots
- All three missingno crash Blue when viewing their stats in Blue
- Trading interface works and Gold is able to view the three missingno as Gen2 Pokemon (Elebaby, Skiploom, and Jumpluff)
- Blue Trading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmZ14Tl-30
- Gold cannot obtain any Missingno from Blue as it checks the Pokemon before finalizing the trade
Linking with Pokemon Gin (Silver) and Pokemon Crystal:
- Attempted to have Gold trade and battle with Silver's Totodile and Kakuna, then just Kakuna, but nothing was successful
- Gold is able to access the trade room, but Gold crashes when waiting for Silver. Silver behaves normally and states the connection has failed
- Time capsule does not function at all
- Crystal has the same behavior as Silver
Different palettes and formats for graphics on this page.
I see that some people are uploading GIFs of their rips while others are not. Additionally, I see people using different palettes for their rips. Should we agree on a certain palette and format?Cheddarandchocolate (talk) 20:59, 1 June 2018 (EDT)
I personally was just about to comment on this myself before I saw your post lol. Personally I think we should use a specific pallete. The night palletes aren't that great tbh for the NPC's. I think we should use grayscale for sprites that would otherwise change color (NPC and overworld sprites namely) and use the SGB colors for whatever has a specific color. As for file formats, unless the gifs are animated, I see no point in breaking the PNG only rule that's been agreed upon for years. Glisp (talk) 09:53, 2 June 2018 (EDT)
Chansey game corner animation.
I can confirm. It's there in the final. Chansey throws eggs at the slot machine. It's one of the rarer anti-777 events that happens. Though I'm not sure Chansey uses those sprites. I think it got brand new ones. I'd have to look again to be sure though. Glisp (talk) 09:54, 2 June 2018 (EDT)
In the future, it would be nice to make a separate article for dialogue translation rather than pasting an inaccurate translation in between download links and info about said download links. --TeganGibby (talk) 02:39, 4 June 2018 (EDT)