Talk:Chrono Trigger (SNES)
- A friend of mine suggested that, by that method, the 4-2 could mean "shini", or "dead". Some sort of subtle jab at Konami? No idea if they and Square had any kind of rivalry going, but... -YK 17:10, 16 August 2010 (EDT)
Stupid question, yes, but... I notice this and the FF6 pages seem to be mostly for the English versions of the game... is it possible there's quite a bit more unused content in the original Japanese versions, as I couldn't say whether the English translation required more space and some of the unused material was deleted, or Square took the time to clean things up a bit more for the English releases? --Aoi 02:41, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
- No, it's not a stupid question at all; there's certainly precedent for such things. I, frankly, wouldn't be at all surprised if some additional content was present in the Japanese versions and cut entirely from the English translations. Those two pages are primarily for the English versions for the simple reason that I've only *played* the English versions of those games... for now. I plan to go through the Japanese versions at a later date, and, if nothing else, note significant (non-text, natch) changes between the versions... -YK 03:02, 7 September 2010 (EDT)
Unused Belthasar sprites
From 9:31 onwards, there are unused Belthasar sprites. Since they're obviously covered here in the vid, maybe someone can get a clean rip of them?
- Huh. Why isn't this on the unused graphics page yet? Well, looks like I've found a distraction from my ROM hack... again. >v>
- ~ Doc Lithius (Info|Chat|Edits) 12:13, 3 December 2016 (EST)
Unused location names
Not sure if this matters, but a text dump of the Japanese script suggests that Eternal Repose and Breakwave Pt. were meant to be shops of some kind - their Japanese names were "永遠のいこい亭" and "さざなみ亭," respectively, with the character 亭 meaning shop.
- Well, that would explain why I couldn't figure out where they could've been used. Probably just fancy names for shops at, most likely, Truce and Porre. -YK 02:06, 16 March 2011 (EDT)
亭 is more like "stop", as in "rest stop". I'd translate these to Eternal Rest Stop and Ripple Rest Stop. GlitterBerri 23:45, 12 February 2012 (EST)
- So, essentially inns or cafes? I'll update the article accordingly. -YK 23:47, 12 February 2012 (EST)
You got it. IIRC, the inns in the towns of Chrono Trigger are just called 宿 (inn) if you walk over them. It could be that they once had individual names. Thanks a lot for the edit! :) GlitterBerri 18:21, 13 February 2012 (EST)
That's cool about Marle being able to use fire spells at one point, ReyVGM! Unfortunately, the present consensus is that the wiki should only contain data about version differences and actual unused stuff that's present in the game, so beta doesn't count. You could always let somewhere like [www.chronocompendium.com] know about your discovery, though. :) In addition, a few of the admins dislike it when people call things "beta", I guess it isn't proper terminology. I'm really interested in this stuff, too, however, so I hope you post it somewhere if it isn't known yet! - GlitterBerri 14:13, 25 June 2012 (EDT)
- Yeah I kind of thought it probably wasn't going to get accepted. I'm just discovering this site now, so I thought of posting it here too. Chronocompendium already knows as I was the one that found that information last year. Although, some of their members might have noticed that before I did, I never saw anyone posting or mentioning that information anywhere else until I did. ReyVGM 14:25, 25 June 2012 (EDT)
Two more alpha shots just came to light:
9 Character Select Screen
Using the Game Genie code 1971-E46F will swap the load game menu with a "WHO'LL YOU REPLACE?" screen with 9 slots rather than 7. Pretty sure the menu it's self isn't a result of the code but a redirect to an unused menu. That's all the information I can find on it. --Jereth (talk) 17:11, 5 March 2015 (EST)
My change re: A.D. and B.C. was incorrectly reverted. B.C. comes after a year while A.D. comes before, as it is XXX Before Christ and Ano Domino XXX. By way of proof: http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/abbreviations_AD_BC_BCE_CE.htm Strikeferret (talk) 07:53, 23 February 2017 (EST)
- The Game Genie code ends up calling the normal "WHO'LL YOU REPLACE?" screen, which has room for 3 active and 6 reserve party members. Normally empty slots are disabled by setting the 0x80 bit, but at this point that data is all zeros. --Mauron (talk) 03:03, 26 November 2017 (EST)
Enemies and Weapon Effects.
The Omicrone seems to display normally if the enemy index is set to 3. I'm not entirely clear how this works, but certain enemy indexes will cause graphical glitches on certain sprite sizes, and Omicrone replacing Gato would cause this. There's a mostly stated unused Magus after the North Cape Magus with weaker stats, lower rewards, and a different AI.
In the Weapon Effects, it's important to note that these can be used by player and enemy techs as well. There are multiple variations of the higher/lower damage modifiers, many of which are used by dual and triple techs. The instant kill that works on bosses is used by bosses with multiple parts (Lavos, Guardian, Giga Gaia, etc) to destroy smaller parts when the main body is defeated. I can't see any type flags that are set on dinosaurs. I'll put together a list of effects and verify used ones later. --Mauron (talk) 03:27, 26 November 2017 (EST)