The Cutting Room Floor:Content to expand/Prototype Pages
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a sub-page of The Cutting Room Floor:Content to expand.
Suggestions for prototype pages to create. All available versions of the prototypes mentioned and their possible differences from the final versions should be included.
- Age of Decadence has a combat demo released 5 years before the final game, with plenty of versions. It has (among many other things) a music track not in the final game.
- Project CARS have various WMD builds shown on various YouTube videos - it might be possible to get hands-on them and document it as prototypes.
- Roadkill has a demo with cars not included in the final version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRFSuYnFA5A)
- World of Goo has Windows prototypes that the developer released via their blog. The files 404 now, but all but one of them (wog20070209-rev601.zip) are on archive.org. Here, the BetaArchive FTP and now here are backups of the missing one.
- X-COM: UFO Defense has at least an early demo showing the original title (X-COM: Terran Defense Force). Also, the several versions and releases of the original game may show various changes.
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert v0.09c.
- Every game bundled with Windows Vista has prototypes within the various prototype versions of Vista. Some of these are documented on X-Cult, but not all of them.
- Betas of some Windows Entertainment Pack games can be found here.
- Gunbound has a few prototypes lying around somewhere.
- LEGO Universe - there are also multiple prototypes of this game.
- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident has a unique demo that was entirely different from the retail version. The retail has some testing maps leftover from development as well.
- Crackdown - Various builds, the oldest being from September 2005
- Dead Space 2
- Lost Planet 2
- Lost Planet: Colonies
- Sonic Adventure had some prototypes leaked
- Lots of released prototypes from Lost Levels
- Athena - The Japanese ROM in the lotcheck ROM archives included in the 2020-07-24 Nintendo leaks doesn't match what has been dumped from the cart (multiple times). Here's an xdelta3 patch.
- Family Trainer: Rairai Kyonsees - early prototype has a different fullscreen picture of the girl, which was uglily redrawn in the final version.
- King Neptune's Adventure has a prototype with multiple differences. (See Nintendoplayer.com for details)
- Pocahontas - a debug rom has been released here.
- Jimmy Connors' Tennis (Game Boy) - The July 2020 Nintendo leaks include a ROM of this game, which has differences when compared to the released ROM. Found (and encrypted) in NEWS\テープリストア\NEWS_02\usr01\noa\Mail\inbox
- Fireteam Rogue (SNES) has two prototype versions from different points of development, the latter one containing most of the text, is it all seen in the unfinished game?
- F1 Pole Position 2 has a Japanese sample cartridge that is a rolling demo. There are changed portraits between this and the final, some minor changes and Nelson Piquet being in that version. Not mentioned but Nigel Mansell's portrait was not finished in this version. It will require hacking to see if there's more unused content or if there are any more portrait changes.
- Dr. Mario Online Rx has prototypes on the Wii CDN (title ID HDM* instead of the final's WDM*)
- Bravely Default's demo could probably be covered as a whole other game, however, considering the fact that it is a whole other game.
- Resident Evil: Revelations has two widely-available demos. The "pilot" version included in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D appears to be an early prototype. The "trial" version that is downloadable on the 3DS eShop, also has some interesting differences.
- Time Travellers - there is a demo in Guild01, which was released 42 days before this game
- The Sega Master System BIOS has a prototype.
- ESWAT has 3 prototypes, each with changes. Revision 0 and Revision 1 also have changes such as difficulty adjustment and removing the Arrest text. Paul Baker documented these
- Slap Shot has a prototype being called Slap Shoot.
- Super Off Road has a prototype with credits
- Barbie Super Model has a prototype with multiple differences. (See nintendoplayer.com for details.)
- Shadowrun has several prototypes.
- Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition has two known prototypes, both identifying itself as Champion Edition. The infamous, better known "ST II Turbo" bootleg title hack is also seemingly based on a later build of the CE prototypes.
- Space Channel 5 has a prototype with a few interesting differences documented by a guy on youtube.
- Final Fantasy VII (Aeris demo) a demo was released which has major differences to the final
- Devil May Cry has at least two demos that have HUD differences and early/unused weapon/devil trigger-related stuff.
- There is a leaked PlayStation 2 prototype of Manhunt 2 that has yet to be documented on this website.
- TimeSplitters 2 has multiple demos . There's some info on the game's notes page.
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX has two demos from E3 2014, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix, respectively. The Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix demo has a functional debug menu (which can be accessed by plugging in a USB mouse) and can be used on the final game if you replace index.dat and kingdom2.mself with the final's. Do note that some options will crash the game.
- Center Court, a prototype of Passing Shot, has numerous differences.
- Trog has a prototype that plays very differently from the final game.