Theme Park (DOS)
This game has a prototype article
This game has a prerelease article
This game has a notes page
This game has a bugs page
This game was rushed, so there are some unused graphics lying around. Extractor + info here.
Theme Park is exactly what it says on the tin: a theme park simulation and management game. It was very popular in Japan, perhaps in part due to its bright, colourful graphics.
|This needs some investigation.|
Discuss ideas and findings on the talk page.
Specifically: Can these menus be activated?
There appears to be a debug menu in lang0-0.dat, and appears to contain functions such as deleting people and forcing the end of the year. There is also a cheat menu that seems to have add money and remove money options. These menus appear alongside the normal in-game menus (Park, Options, and Display). Also in the menu data are 'Scroll Only' and 'Turbo Mode', apparently leftovers from the demo versions.
Show screenshots of the Midland Bank and Japanese versions of the transactions screen for comparison. And what about the American version?
There are some minor differences between the English and Japanese versions. The UK version is sponsored by Midland Bank and has its logos, such as in the transactions screen. The Japanese version has a generic transactions screen instead.
Check the Japanese version of the game itself. It might not use katakana for the ride names and the info in the cited sources might apply to other versions.
The Japanese names of certain shops, rides, staff, and items are not the same as the English ones after translation:
- Snakes And Ladders - スネークスライド (Snake Slide)
- Rubber Tubing - ウォータースライダー (Water Slider)
- Merry-Go-Round - コーヒーカップ (Coffee Cup)
- Observatory - プラネタリウム (Planetarium)
- Race Car Ride - ゴーカート (Go-Kart)
- Big Dipper - ウッドコースター (Wood Coaster)
- Plane Flyer - ジョイプレーン (Joy Plane)
- Cowboy Acts - ウエスタンショー (Western Show)
- Medieval Acts - コロシアム (Colosseum)
- Flight Sim - バーチャルフライト (Virtual Flight)
- Big Time Fries - ビッグフライポテト (Big Fry Potato)
- Pokey Cola - ドンキーコーラー (Donkey Cola)
- Novelty Shop - バラエティーショップ (Variety Shop)
- Saloon - ビアハウス (Beer House)
- Toy Land - トイザマス (Toys A Mas)
- Gift Shop - キャスルギフト (Castle Gift)
- Gun Shoot - ラッキーショット (Lucky Shot)
- Race Track - ダービーメダリオン (Derby Medallion)
The CD version features a slightly longer intro (a couple of small bits were left out of the floppy version), as well as the ability to "ride" certain rides. The CD version also has a Sound Blaster AWE32 option for the music. The floppy disk version does not.
In addition to the standard codes giving money and access to all items, having the nickname 'HORZA' also enables the initiation of goods and staff negotiations at any time by pressing 8 and F8 respectively.
- テーマパークスーパガイド. p. 109. Popcom Books. Tokyo: Shogakukan. 10 September 1995. ISBN 978-4-09-385070-4.
- 公式テーマパーク攻略ガイドブック. pp. 8-27. Login Books. Tokyo: Aspect. 30 September 1995. ISBN 978-4-89366-407-5.
- テーマパークパーフェクトガイド. pp. 58-74. Tokyo: SoftBank Books. 25 July 1995. ISBN 978-4-89052-723-6.
The Theme series
|DOS||Theme Park (Prototypes) • Theme Hospital|
|Windows||Theme Hospital • Theme Park World • Theme Park Inc.|
|Mac OS Classic||Theme Park World|
|PlayStation||Theme Aquarium • Theme Park World|