- 1 Estpolis Denki II / Lufia II text
- 2 Dr. Light / Right name
- 3 Proto:Nightmare Busters
- 4 Question about merging pages
- 5 Your account on JUL?
- 6 Kingdom Hearts Re;Chain Of Memories
- 7 Do you know the best format to translate text in Japanese to English
- 8 How would you translate these?
- 9 Translation Request
- 10 Gex 3 Proto Stuff on Notes Page
- 11 Shining Force 3 Translations
Estpolis Denki II / Lufia II text
Hi Bast, I haven't checked into it yet, but I'm pretty sure the $0A control code is just an event script variant of the map name compression I documented a few weeks ago on the Notes:Lufia_II:_Rise_of_the_Sinistrals#Map_Name_text_handler_80C9C0-80CA13 Lufia 2 retail Notes Page. But instead of a hardcoded $878000 start address it's probably the most recent $1000 bytes instead (sliding window). It should also be noted that it doesn't seem the prototype uses this, ie no compression at all. But the text is still mixed in with the event scripts, making it a bit tougher to find out when strings start and end. I'll try to get those remaining control codes verified in the next few days. Thanks for all your work with the translations! --JLukas (talk) 01:07, 13 June 2014 (EDT)
Prototype typos in text
Hi Bast, if you see any text from the prototype that looks like it has a typo (or seen any in the past), let me know - need to check if they're potential corrupt bytes. --JLukas (talk) 04:28, 28 June 2014 (EDT)
- Alright, I'll keep an eye out. The only thing I've seen so far is that a few instances of Japanese text have had spaces in them, which ordinarily does not occur in Japanese text, but they did not seem like they had replaced a character, so I assumed it was just an artifact of an editor or copy/pasting. It could have also just been an error in encoding the original script too (Japanese word-processors use the spacebar to convert and select select a kanji from a list, so a fast typist can unintentionally introduce a space quite easily). If I see anything that looks like an obvious mistake, I'll let you know.
- Bast (talk) 04:36, 28 June 2014 (EDT)
Dr. Light / Right name
Both the "L" and "R" marks are present in Mega Man 9's data, so it is not due to a lack of "L" in Japanese language, but a choice, like "Mega Man" and "Rockman" (which are also both present). His name is always written with R in Japan, and it is his mark: RockBoard opening RW (Right & Wily) mark (also in-game in MM3, where he was mistakenly named Wright) DRN series (manga), ... And to further prove that the makers are aware of the R/L difference, take Crash Man / Clashman as example: His name is with "L" in Japan, as seen in Rockman 2, his Rockman & Forte CD data, and the new Super Smash Bros. video (En / Jp), but "R" overseas. --Metalman (talk) 01:24, 26 August 2014 (EDT)
- I have responded to this on the article's talk page. Please continue the disscussion there. Thank you. --Bast (talk) 01:38, 26 August 2014 (EDT)
It's not good to leave it as a redirect to Nightmare Busters since the former's existence makes the Bob on the latter think the game has a prototype page. -WarioBarker (talk) 16:15, 29 June 2015 (EDT)
- It was decided that this fits better in the Proto: namespace so I've moved it back. Incidentally, it was already moved from the mainspace to the Proto: namespace once before by an administrator. In the future, please try to check and see if moves like this have already happened so that you don't unintentionally undo a previous move. Thank you. Bast (talk) 03:34, 30 June 2015 (EDT)
Question about merging pages
I worked to merge Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team. These are pratically the same game, even tough they are on different console (respectively, GBA and NDS). Well, is it ok if I proceed to move the page onto the main wiki? User:Crocodile91/Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team I didn't do earlier due to real life problems. I'm asking because this merging seems a kinda delicate matter. --Crocodile91 (talk) 16:39, 27 October 2015 (EDT)
- Yes, please go ahead with the merge. In this case, the games are substantially similar enough that merging the pages is better than keeping them separated. There are cases where we keep things like this on separate pages, but only in the case where there are real and substatial differences so please go ahead with your merge.
- Bast (talk) 08:10, 29 October 2015 (EDT)
Your account on JUL?
Bast, this may be a stupid question but I wanted you to confirm that the following account on JUL is your account:
As they say, measure twice, cut once. The reason I am asking is because I want to send you a PM requesting a Japanese to English translation. You might be wondering why I don't just make myself clear here on your talk page vs sending a PM. You'll understand why after I send you the PM. Thanks. --Cuber456 (talk) 18:06, 2 March 2016 (EST)
- Yes, that's my account. Though depending on how long the translation is, I may not have time to do it now. Please feel free to send it along though, and I'll try to get to it as soon as I can. Bast (talk) 04:15, 3 March 2016 (EST)
- I've responded. Please check your PMs :) Bast (talk) 05:02, 11 March 2016 (EST)
- I've responded. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Bast (talk) 05:40, 18 March 2016 (EDT)
Kingdom Hearts Re;Chain Of Memories
Hey, you wanted to take a look at that debug Re Chain of Memories? Well I haven't finished taking all the screenshots, but here is a screenshot to give you an idea of what it's looking like. https://snag.gy/dHv4gU.jpg (I'll upload the original image to tcrf once i get up.) --Flamelord333 (talk) 11:23, 28 October 2016 (EDT)
Do you know the best format to translate text in Japanese to English
Hi, Bast. I`m fluent in both Japanese and English and I was wondering since there`s a lot of to-do lists on this website for translating Japanese text into English can you please explain to me the best way of formatting these translation works? — The preceding unsigned comment was added by Mr. Kite (talk) • (contribs)
- Hello and welcome to the wiki! As far as the "best" way to format translations, it really depends more on what you're translating and how the article is formatted.
- Some examples:
- The Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)#Demo page used a grid of images with the translations below, and further down in the audio section a nice looking table was used.
- An extremely large text-dump from Plants vs. Zombies was given its own subpage. (That was one of my first translations done for the wiki, so the quality of it may not be at the same level of my later work >_>)
- This Lufia proto page has a nicely formatted table listing relevant information, and this one does too, whereas this one just has a simple side-by-side table.
- This table for Kingdom Hearts incorporated some color and bolded text to help reflect the original table in the game.
- As you can see, it depends more on the length, placement, and nature of the text to be translated, so there's really no hard and fast rule other than to just use something that looks good on the page in question. I keep a few basic templates on my user page for my reference and just copy the more elaborate ones from other pages if I want something more fancy.
- Finally, would you be willing to add a "Babel userbox" to your userpage like the one on my page? It not required, but it helps to keep the speakers of other languages more visible and easier to locate. When some games had some untranslated Polish and French text, it certainly made it easier to find some people who could help.
- Please let me know if you have any more questions!
- Bast (talk) 20:24, 16 December 2016 (EST)
How would you translate these?
The Handlebar (Japanese): 作法棒を横に倒し、両端を上からしっかり握りましょう。ただし、逆さまに持ってはいけません。禁じ手です。
The Boxer (Japanese): 作法棒を横に倒し、右/左手で上からしっかり登りましょう。みなぎる力をすべて作法棒に注ぎ込む心意気が、新しい時代を切り開きます。
- I've been very busy lately, so these are just quick, five-minute translations that may not have the same quality had I invested more time in them, but hopefully these will give you a general idea of what they mean.
- Lay the "Etiquette Staff" on its side and then grasp both sides firmly from above. Don't hold it from underneath. That's a disqualifying move.
- Lay the "Etiquette Staff" on its side and then grip it firmly with your left (or right) hand and raise it. Imbue a tremendous amount of spirit and power into the "Etiquette Staff" and you will open up a new era!
- Lay the "Etiquette Staff" on its side and then grip it from underneath. The chronicles of history will be transmitted through such a lightweight staff!
- Bast (talk) 04:54, 13 June 2017 (EDT)
Hey there Bast, I have a request for you to translate the Japanese stuff on Persona 3 Unused Voice Clips (V451001.AFS to be specific.)
Thanks for reading this if you have the time as well as if you managed to translate them. BlowingYourMind 7:31PM EST September 30, 2017 The Streets are payne.
- Hello, unfortunately I'm a bit too busy right now to be able to do this at the current time. There's a lot of material on that page, and even just doing V451001.AFS is something I just can't do right now. I'll keep it in mind though, for when I have some free time. Bast (talk) 02:15, 1 October 2017 (EDT)
Gex 3 Proto Stuff on Notes Page
Hey you got me to remember my login. They were there because...I'm not sure Why. I suppose they got moved out of my User page where I had placed them after being told there wasn't enough for a Proto Page. At least not with only videos and quite bad ones at that. No one else seemed interested and I find the games fun. I should make more videos now that I have a proper computer. Off to find an emulator. But yes I am actually the originator of what was on that Notes page that got moved back to the Proto page it was originally on.--Teraunce (talk) 18:52, 11 December 2017 (EST)
Shining Force 3 Translations
I wanted to run a change by somebody that has more experience with wikis than I do. I recently went and added a translation to the page below and wanted to make sure that the format was correct or if I made a mess. Please let me know if there are any changes I should make, especially in the future, as I'm interested in doing more translations from the list. I'm confident in my translation, but if it needs to be looked over and you don't have time, I can mention it to GlitterBerri. Thanks for the help in advance. :)
- I don't have the time right now to read over the translation itself, so please go ahead and ask GlitterBerri about that. As far as the format of it, it looks fine to me. You can see that a similar question was asked already so the advice given there is still relevant. In brief, there's no hard and fast rule about how to format translations. So long as they fit well on the page, that's all that is asked. Please let me know if you have any other questions, thanks! Bast (talk) 04:44, 2 October 2018 (EDT)