U.N. Squadron (Arcade)
U.N. Squadron, a.k.a Area 88, is a horizontal shoot 'em up loosely based on the manga of the same name (Area 88 that is, not U.N. Squadron). This game is notable in featuring a shop before each level, with the inventory and shop prices changing based on which of the three starting character you pick.
Extended Service Menu
Normally, only the first four options (Dot Test, I/O Test, Dip Sw Test, and Color Test) are available in the service menu. To access the full service menu, set the Game Mode dip switch to "Game", Hold 1P Coin and then press the Service Mode button (Default F2 in MAME).
- 1P Button 1: Selects between free-movement mode, 16x16 movement mode, and 32x32 movement mode.
- 1P Start: Selects between the following modes: Scroll 2 (Foreground), Scroll 3 (Background), Scroll 23 (Foreground + Background), and Cursor.
- 2P Start: Jumps to next round and resets mode to Scroll 2.
Scroll 2 / Scroll 23
- 1P Joystick: Moves camera.
- 1P Button 2 + 1P Joystick: Moves camera four times faster.
- 2P Joystick: Moves camera.
- 2P Button 2 + 2P Joystick: Moves camera four times faster.
- 1P Joystick: Moves camera.
- 1P Button 2 + 1P Joystick: Moves camera two times faster.
- 2P Joystick: Moves cursor.
Object Test / Scroll 1 Test
- 1P Up / Down: Cycle through tiles.
- 1P Up / Down + 2P Start: Cycle through tiles four times as fast.
- 1P Left / Right: Cycle through color palettes.
- 1P Button 1: Splits tiles for easier viewing (Object Test only).
- 1P Button 1 + 1P Down: Exits test.
- 1P Button 2: Toggles horizontal flipping.
- 1P Button 3: Toggles vertical flipping.
- 1P Start: Hold to cycle through eight rows of tiles every eight frames.
Scroll 2 Test / Scroll 3 Test
Unused Items & Shop Content
To add the Thunder Laser (which is only available in Mission 5 through a bonus item and never in the shop) and Thunder Laser Ⅱ (which is completely unused) to Round 1's shop, put the following code in MAME's unsquad.xml cheat file:
<cheat desc="Add T Laser Items to Shop"> <script state="run"> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB44=000A</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB46=0124</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB4E=000B</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB50=0128</action> </script> <script state="off"> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB44=0008</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB46=011C</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB4E=0009</action> <action>maincpu.mw@1DB50=0120</action> </script> </cheat>
|THANDER LASER||It discharges lasers in 3 directions.|
|THANDER LASERⅡ||The most destructive laser.|
Shop prices are controlled by a byte that ranges from 00 to 0E. Values in bold in the table below are unused:
After going through a short bit of level, the player(s) will encounter a large aircraft that has three rectangular bombs attached to its hull. The player(s) must carefully shoot the bombs off the plane before the 60 second timer expires to clear the level. The faster they do it, the more points and cash they get at the end of the level. If the plane takes too much damage or the timer runs out, the level ends, but the player(s) get no point or cash bonuses.