The two dudes from Chase H.Q. got their licenses suspended for some reason, so now they have to apprehend criminals on foot in Crime City. They should have visited Lawburgh instead.
- Hold the Service Coin button until a "SERVICE SWITCH ERROR" message pops up on the screen.
- Then, press 1P Start (x3), Service Coin, 1P Start.
Press 1P Left / Right to select a round and 1P Up / Down to select a scene (when available). Press 1P Start to exit the menu.
Other Debug Features
ROM address 0x7FF7C controls which debug functions are available to the player. This is normally set to 00, which enables the above stage select through the Taito Code. Set that address to any other value between 01 and 06 (Excluding 02), to enable other debug functions. Place the following code in MAME's crimec.xml cheat file to switch between debug options:
<cheat desc="Select Game Mode"> <comment>"Hi Score" dip switch must be set to "3 Characters"</comment> <parameter> <item value="0x0001">Taito Code For Special Mode</item> <item value="0x0003">Special Mode On Boot</item> <item value="0x0004">Infinite Energy</item> <item value="0x0005">Infinite Lives</item> <item value="0x0006">Special Mode, No Debug Disp</item> <item value="0x0002">No Debug Features</item> </parameter> <script state="run"> <action>maincpu.mw@07FF7C=param</action> </script> <script state="off"> <action>maincpu.mw@07FF7C=0000</action> </script> </cheat>
As the code says, for values 01, 03, 04, and 05, the "Hi Score" dip switch has to be set to "3 Characters" to activate debug functions.
Special Debug Menu
Starts a normal game. Who would have thought?
On this menu:
- Press 1P Start to start a game in "No Hit" mode, which gives the player infinite energy.
- Press 2P Start to start a game in "Endless" mode, which gives the player infinite lives.
- Press Service to start a normal game.
Once the game has started:
- Press 2P Start + 1P Up to cycle between the following game speeds: paused, 1/6 speed, 1/2 speed, normal speed.
- Press 2P Start + 1P Down to set the game speed to "paused", regardless of the current speed cycle.
The second is a rudimentary debug display. The two counters in the upper-left count the current camera position and how long it's been since the camera last moved, and the red bar in the upper-right is the CPU usage meter. The current round and scene number are displayed above the timer, and a second credit counter and coin counter (in case the game's set up to require multiple coins per credit) are above the normal credit counter.
After about five seconds have passed, press 1P Button 1 to start a "Hit Use" game.
- 1P Up / Down: Cycles through tiles.
- 1P Start: Changes the width of each row.
- 2P Start: Changes the "mode", or palette.
- 1P Up / Down: Selects between Red, Green, Blue, and "?", which doesn't seem to do anything in this game.
- 1P Left / Right: Changes the R/G/B/? value.
- 1P Button 1 / Button 2: Choose the current color to edit.
- 1P Button 3: Exits color edit menu.
- 2P Up / Down: Chooses between SCN0 (HUD & Font layer), SCN1 (Background), SCN2 (Foreground), and OBJ (Sprites) palette banks.
- 2P Left / Right: Cycles through palettes in the currently selected bank.
- Service + 2P Button 2: Exits palette editor.
- 1P Up / Down: Changes File Number / Frame value.
- 1P Left / Right: Changes between File Number and File Frame variables.
- 1P Button 1 / Button 2: Controls sprite scaling. Zoom ranges from 00 (Default), to FF.
- 1P Start: Flips sprite.
- 2P Start: Overlays an 8x8 grid on the sprite.
- Service: Changes current round number. This is used to load different object palette banks.
Press Service to return to the main Obstacle Mode menu.
Select "Test Play" to play the newly edited stage. The Game Over countdown sequence should start immediately; either press 1P / 2P Start to start the game, or press 1P Button 1 / 2 to freeze the game.
Press Service at any time to return to the main Obstacle Mode menu.
- 1P Start: Controls the "ET" block.
- Service: Controls the "PB" block.
- 1P Start + Service: Controls the "EB" block.
- 1P Up / Down: Moves the currently selected block ("PT" by default).
- 1P Button 1 / Button 2: Controls sprite scaling on the currently selected block. Zoom ranges from 0000 (default), to FFFF.
- 2P Start: Updates the numbers on screen. They mean something to somebody.
Doesn't do anything, dummy.
Set 0x7FF7C to 04 and "Hi Score" to "3 Char" to start a normal game in "NO HIT." mode, which gives both players infinite energy.
Set 0x7FF7C to 05 and "Hi Score" to "3 Char" to start a normal game in "ENDLESS." mode, which gives both players infinite lives.
There's a three frame cuffing animation programmed in the game. While the first frame is used after a stage ends, and the third frame is used on the "Daily Taito" newspaper, the frame that acutally shows the cuffs isn't used.
<cheat desc="Placeholder Title"> <script state="run"> <action>maincpu.mw@07FF7A=0001</action> </script> <script state="off"> <action>maincpu.mw@07FF7A=0000</action> </script> </cheat>