Document all the regional differences. Probably needs a sub-page.
A fighting game, and a pretty good one at that, if you can get past the mostly sepia tone graphics.
The Japanese version of the game is based on the movie Mr. Vampire, whereas the North American release was changed to have its own original story. As a result, many things have been changed.
- The names in the Japanese version are in Japanese text, thus using a larger font for the kanji to be readable.
- The ending theme is different between both versions, but has the same end part.
- A second programmer, Takayuki Onodera appears in the Japanese version's staff roll.
- The Programming Assistant credit was removed from the US version.
- Two of the four Production Assistants are different between the two versions. Aisa Kato and Masayuki Hirashima in the Japanese version are now replaced with Junko Hori and Mariko Sakurai in the US version. Also, Taka Iwamoto's name was swapped from the third Production Assistant credit to the second.
- Three FCI staff members were added to the US version.
- Company logos are present in the Japanese version. In the US version, they are replaced with plain text.
- The US version adds a copyright screen for the game.
- The Japanese version has a copyright from 1985-1987 for Paragon Films Ltd. while the US version has a 1989 copyright for Pony Canyon, spelled as one word.
- The Japanese version ends with a copyright year for 1988 with the Pony Canyon logo, while the US version just shows the FCI logo. Also, the "Eye" graphic for the logo in the Japanese version is bigger than the US version.
Present at 0x3BCC0 in the US version is this message.
================ ファントムファイ ターをお買い上げ 頂きましてありが とうございます。 ところで、このメ ッセージを見つけ たキミはエライ！ ついでに次のプロ グラムは何をする ためのものか考え て、もしわかれば マリオネットまで 連絡して下さい。 ================ Entry:lda #0 sta Ans+0 sta Ans+1 Loop: clc lda Sorc+0 sbc Ans+0 sta Sorc+0 lda Sorc+1 sbc Ans+1 sta Sorc+1 bcc Exit inc Ans+0 inc Ans+0 bne Loop inc Ans+1 bne Loop Exit: lsr Ans+1 ror Ans+0 rts Sorc: ds 2 Ans: ds 2 ---------------- ヒント：Sorcに入 力された数値を計 算して Ansに返す 手続き。 ================ ㈱マリオネット 東京都江戸川区 南小岩 6-28-13 TEL.03(650)7441 FAX.03(650)7443 ================
================ Thank you so much for purchasing Phantom Fighter. By the way, if you have discovered this message, you're outstanding! Also, if you think you know what the next program is, please go ahead and contact Marionette. ================ Entry:lda #0 sta Ans+0 sta Ans+1 Loop: clc lda Sorc+0 sbc Ans+0 sta Sorc+0 lda Sorc+1 sbc Ans+1 sta Sorc+1 bcc Exit inc Ans+0 inc Ans+0 bne Loop inc Ans+1 bne Loop Exit: lsr Ans+1 ror Ans+0 rts Sorc: ds 2 Ans: ds 2 ---------------- Hint： This routine calculates the number entered in Sorc and returns it into Ans. ================ Marionette (Corp.) Edogawa-ku, Tokyo Minami-Koiwa 6-28-13 TEL.03(650)7441 FAX.03(650)7443 ================
The assembly code in the message is a loop which approximates the square root of the 16-bit value "Sorc" and stores the result in "Ans".