Popeye: Ijiwaru Majo Sea Hag no Maki
|Popeye: Ijiwaru Majo Sea Hag no Maki|
|This page is rather stubbly and could use some expansion.|
Are you a bad enough dude to
Use the Pro Action Replay (PAR) code 80A86AFF to boot into a debug/scene select menu, allowing you to go directly to various parts of the game by selecting a screen numbered 00 through FF (although several of the possible values aren't used, and several more appear to have been used in the past but no longer do anything when selected now).
A few of the choices lead to further debugging features or otherwise interesting things:
- DB (STAFF): possibly an early concept for the staff roll screen (see below).
- F2 (SOUND TEST): a simple screen for testing music (values 00 through 0E) and sound effects (80 through DF). Other values may either play repeats of other music, or cause the game to lock up attempting to load nonexistent music.
- FD (KIN_TEST): an in-game object test (see below).
- FE (STAGE SELECT): warps to one of the side scrolling stages.
- FF (SCENE_SELECT): the debug menu itself; many other unused options also lead to the same screen.
Experiment with this a little more and try to describe it better.
Selecting option FD from the scene select takes you to an in-game object test (or "gimic [sic] test") that lets you add or remove an object with specific properties using controller 2, while controlling Popeye normally using controller 1.
Unused Staff Screen
Selecting option DB ("STAFF") from the scene select takes you to a simple screen which, judging by the name, may have originally been a placeholder for a potential staff roll. The actual text it displays is the same as the copyright text shown when normally starting the game, but using Mode 7 to provide a perspective effect as the text scrolls up the screen.
The Popeye series
|NES||Popeye no Eigo Asobi|
|Game Boy||Popeye (Prototype) • Popeye 2|
|SNES||Ijiwaru Majo Sea Hag no Maki|
|Game Boy Advance||Rush for Spinach|