Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn)
A magically-supercharged Beat 'em Up for the Sega Saturn by Treasure. It later got a spiritual successor for the GBA.
A Debug menu is hidden in this game. It can be accessed with a button combination depending on the version:
- JP: Go to the options menu. Highlight the DIP Switch option. While highlighted, press and hold X + B + Z. However! While holding these, hold the Down button. When the cursor goes down the screen, press the C button on the DIP switch menu as the cursor goes to the top of the screen again.
- US: Go to the Options menu from the main menu. Highlight DIP Switch. Press and hold X + B + Z. While holding these, enter the DIP Switch menu by pressing A. As soon as you press the A button, immediately hold Down on the D-Pad.
- EU: Go to the Options menu. Highlight Exit. Hold X + B + Z, then press Down + A.
If done correctly, a Debug option is unlocked at the bottom of the DIP Switch menu. Turn it on to trigger Debug Mode.
For starters, these are the immediate effects of turning the Debug Mode on:
- You begin Story Mode with characters at Level 200.
- You can select your beginning stage in Story Mode.
- All 45 characters in Versus Mode are available.
Go into the "Test Mode" from the "Options" menu. This takes you to a "Ending Test" menu where you can see any of the seven game endings.
During normal game-play, more debugging options are available: Pause the game, hold X + Y + Z, then meanwhile hold the following buttons for the desired effects:
- Up / Down: Full Life/Zero Life.
- R + Start: Skip ahead by one level. If you hold also one of the buttons A, B, or C, it will be by respectively 2, 3 or 4 levels. You can keep the Firesword this way.
- L + R + Start: Go back by one level. If you hold also one of the buttons A, B, or C, it will be by respectively 2, 3 or 4 levels.
A Hitbox viewer mode can be also accessed with the Debug Mode on by pausing, then pressing L + Y + R. Repeating the manipulation makes 3D collision boxes appear, and repeating it hides them, as normal. It is worth to mention that the boxes are colored: Green for defensive state, Red for Attack, and Blue.