This page details one or more prototype versions of Bio-Hazard Battle.
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
A prototype cart of what looked to be Alien Storm, was found on March 8, 2021 by reddit user AluminumMind93. However when it was dumped on March 29, 2021 by Modern Vintage Gamer, it was revealed to actually be a early prototype of Bio-Hazard Battle for the Genesis from 1991 (according to the ROM header). The prototype only contains 2 stages normally, as it seems to be a store demo.
- Present in the ROM header is a programmer note that was removed from the final game: "Programed by TONBE 1991"
- The Stage select menu isn't present.
- The Options menu can't be selected. Even if unlocked with a game enhancer code, there is no pointer to its programming and will crash the game if selected. The programming for it doesn't appear to exist, either.
- Several of the backgrounds are different.
- "Pause" was uppercased for the final release.
- Instead of having to collect power-ups, the prototype allows the player to switch between these with the B button.
- By default, only two stages are available: Stage 3 and Stage 4. When approaching the Stage 4 boss, a broken English message appears telling the player to look forward to the release version.
- Stages 1, 5-8 don't load when using a stage modifier game enhancer cheat. It's currently unknown what, if any, data exists for them in this build.
View the Notes:Proto:Bio-Hazard_Battle page for research information.
The "H" in "Hazard" is modified to look less like a "B". The Sega copyright is absent, as is the trademark. "Press START Button" is higher up too. The title screen lacks any music.
Hardware testing required to verify if this feature is functional.
Use Pro Action Replay (PAR) code 000482:7808 or Game Genie code BACA-BT6C to unlock the Modem start option.
The main programming is located at $0004C2-00054B.
The city ruins stage is accessible by using Pro Action Replay (PAR) code 0008BE:0001 or Game Genie code AEEA-AAF8. It is unfinished and at the end the screen simply stops scrolling with no boss.