This page details one or more prototype versions of Katamari Damacy.
Cover the other demos and find other differences
Several different demo discs of Namco's roll-em-up were published prior to the release of the final version of the game.
January 2004 Demo
This demo, disc serial PAPX-90234, has a build date of January 14, 2004.
Most of the music present in the demo differs from release:
- The songs "Nananan Katamari", "Angel Flavor's Present", "Lovely Angel", "Katamari On The Rocks", "Katamaritaino" and "Katamari Mambo [Katamari Syndrome Re-mix]" have some missing instrumentation or minor mixing differences, although they are pretty close to the final versions.
- The songs "Katamari Of Love", "Overture", "Katamari On The Rocks", "Lonely Rolling Star" and "Katamaritaino" are present as rough demo versions.
- Three of the songs are unused. The early version of "Canon Of Kings" is replaced by "Fugue #7777" in the final game.
- The songs "You Are Smart" and "The Moon & The Prince" are identical to the final versions.
- The songs "Fugue #7777", "The Wonderful Star's Walk Is Wonderful", "A Crimson Rose And A Gin Tonic", "Wanda Wanda", "Que Sera Sera", "Katamari☆Stars", "Cherry Blossom Color Season", "Stardust Fanfare" and "The Last Samba" are not present in this demo.
The majority of the music on the disc is not accessible during gameplay.
|Similar in structure and instrumentation to "Fugue #7777", but a totally different composition. Reworked and expanded for the sequel Me & My Katamari in 2005 as "Canon Of Kings".|
|A shoegaze-ish song. Lyrics had evidently not yet been written.|
|A Katamarified version of the famous introduction to Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra.|
|Katamari Of Love||An early version of the song with a scratch vocal, before Shigeru Matsuzaki's vocals had been recorded.|
|Overture||An all-synth arrangement of the song. The final version is a piano piece.|
|Katamari On The Rocks||An early version before the lead vocal had been recorded. The melody also differs from the final version.|
|Lonely Rolling Star||Very early version with only the verse and chorus. There are scratch vocals, but lyrics had not yet been written.|
|Katamaritaino||An early version with scratch vocals and an incomplete arrangement.|