Proto:Super Mario Kart/kar4t
This is a sub-page of Proto:Super Mario Kart.
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
Everything. The changes are unfinished.
Even though dated same, it's a later build than mario-kart. Even more things are finalized, with minor differences left.
To get the ROM working, apply this patch.
Changes between this and earlier build
- Ending is now completely implemented and gets to the The End screen.
- You can now navigate the menus using select.
- There's a build-exclusive debug mode for Time Trial. It seems to be for the driver and the ghost:
- First row: Your character's speed and coordinates, and button presses. The top right set seems to lock at 05E4.
- Second row: The Ghost's speed and coordinates. It seems that the last 2 sets stick at 0000.
- Rainbow Road is now updated, but not identical as the final.
- The AI feels finalized or even more polished compared to last build.
- Cheep-cheeps are no longer upside down.
Graphics / UI
- The finalized US title screen is implemented.
- The unique sound used when using a mushroom and going over a hop / ramp are now implemented.
- The Boo item SFX's are now implemented.
- Enemy hit sound is now finalized.
- Pressing Start + Select at title screen crashes the game. In earlier builds, It will load a Debug Menu.
- Demos when waiting at title screen are not finalized. Like earlier builds the driver rams into walls and plays poorly.
- On the "Thank you" screen from the ending D.K has the sign on his shirt missing.
While it still uses the piano as the bassline, the instrumentation has been finalized.
Toad's theme uses the final tempo, but still uses the brass hit instrumentation heard in mario-kart.
Other Sound Differences
- Like mario-kart, Rainbow Road's BGM is still not done. Battle Mode plays instead. This makes it likely that Rainbow Road was the very last song to be implemented into the game.
- The ending cuts too early to the The End screen, causing the last second of the song to cut off.