This page details one or more prototype versions of Wipeout 3.
Triple Missiles & Rockets
In earlier versions, both rockets & missile pickups used 3 rockets instead of 2.
3 Rockets were fired in a line, one next to the other, pretty much like in the previous title. Missiles could lock onto up to 3 ships, or fire 3 homing rockets at a single target.
The only weapon cut from the release. The idea presumed is that it would use the ship's jets to damage others which came into contact with it.
Changes between release and the prototype / demo are mostly the colors, sizes and small layout differences. While the beta had small and darker icons, release went for big and bright ones.
Some icons like: Reflector, Quake and Force Wall were completely different.
Early versions had different countdown voicelines. The Final version had a totally different tone to them, probably for better recognition.
Some pickup voicelines changed in their delivery and tone between demo and release. For release, different takes were used.
Pickup Drop Sound
Prototype Ships Textures
In prototype versions, the ships had different textures and colors compared to the release ones.
Every ship had a much lighter underbody section, and more details, making them fitting for a 2097 atmosphere. Some ships like: Assegai, Qirex, Goteki 45, and Icaras, had a completely different color-scheme.
Despite using the same elements and design as in release, the demo HUD is noteable for these differences:
- Upper part alignment is different. Pickup display is snapped next to the position bar, pitlane indicator is on the top right of the screen, checkpoint timer is slightly left aligned.
- Total racers count number is a pale yellow, as opposed to transparent in release. The surrounding graphic is also grey instead of the white in the release.
- The whole lower part of the HUD is scaled-down in comparison to the release.
- Shield bar used a light-orange colour. This is the same colour as in messages & offensive pickups.
- Acceleration bar was blue instead of light-blue in final release. Speed bar was a light-green color, and layered under a transparent acceleration bar; Final version has a dark-blue color, and lays on top of the acceleration bar.
- Hyperthrust changes the shield bar to flickering red instead of white as in release.
- Pickup display upper notch is much longer than in the release.
MKL - Control (Prototype Mix)
Earlier versions had different soundtrack mixes.
The only one we have, and that is completely different from the release, is "Control" by "MKL".
- The middle part of the mix is completely different. Where in release just drums are featured, this mix features a synth also.
- Effects are different too. This version is much more reverberated.
- Outro is longer and has some additional sound effects.
The WipEout series
|PlayStation||WipEout • WipEout XL/2097 • WipEout 3 (Prototype)|
|PlayStation 2||WipEout Fusion • WipEout Pulse|
|PlayStation 3||WipEout HD|