Prerelease:Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire
This page details prerelease information and/or media for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
In the May 2020 source code leak for the games were a handful of files from earlier stages in development, dating from 4 to 9 months before the games' release in Japan.
| Pokémon Data|
Changes to the data pertaining to the Pokémon.
- Jan. 30 - A new title from the main Pokémon series featuring characters from the fifth movie, Pokémon Heroes: Latios & Latias, is first mentioned and is slated for a fall launch window to coincide with the theatrical release.
- Mar. 14 - The game was revealed, with some official screenshots and character artworks. However, it was unknown what the versions were.
- Jul. 20 - Aug. 11th - Pokémon Festa 2002 took place in various locations around Japan, and a demo of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire could be played.
- Nov. 21 - The game is released in Japan.
- Mar. 19 - The game is released in North America.
The game was finally unveiled in an issue of Corocoro.
|This page or section needs more images. |
There's a whole lotta words here, but not enough pictures. Please fix this.
|Corocoro March 2002 Issue||Final Game|
An early battle sequence between Duskull and Kecleon.
- Duskull's sprite was touched up a bit, most notably at the back and the eyes while Kecleon's looks unfinished as it lacks shading. As Duskull cannot be found at Level 10, and in a grassy area, it was likely put together via debug mode. The battle HUD also has noticeable differences.
Pokémon Festa 2002
Demo versions of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire were playable at Pokémon Festa 2002, held in various locations in Japan in July and August 2002. The footage on the right is from the July 20th event in Sapporo, Hokkaido.
The following photos are likely from Pokémon Festa 2002 as well, though it is unknown at which event location they were taken.