Disney's Toontown Online was the Walt Disney company's first take on a MMORPG, as well as one of the first to be targeted at a younger audience which became one of the core gameplay concepts. It also had a rather enigmatic development phase which would be revealed by former staff that worked on this game, going through many different ambitious concepts before they were settled on.
Several different ideas for Emotions were drawn out, with Flippy being used as a mascot. It was officially posted to the Toontown Online website in 2003, albeit in a lower resolution and was featured in a Newsletter. Many of the Emotions on the concept art didn't make it to the final or was added in later on;
• Laugh was originally called "Laff".
View more...Previous • Archive • Next
• The infamous Taunt Emotion matches up with the unused animations and sound from the files.
• The Wink and Idea Emotions were scrapped.
• The Surprize emotion was originally different; it would have been based off what was seen in the 2003 commercial rather than reusing the attacked animation.
• Shrug was called "Don't Know", and Delighted was called "The Giant Smile" or "Big Smile".
• Really Sad originally had tears coming out of the eyes.