Prerelease:Super Mario Galaxy
This page details prerelease information and/or media for Super Mario Galaxy.
- 1 Developmental Timeline
- 2 2006
- 2.1 May
- 2.2 September
- 2.3 November
- 3 2007
- 3.1 March
- 3.2 April
- 3.3 July
- 3.3.1 E3 2007
- 3.3.2 Australian private event
- 3.3.3 Famitsu
- 3.4 August
- 3.5 September
- 3.6 October
- 3.6.1 Nintendo Media Summit 2007
- 3.6.2 E for All 2007 demo
- 3.6.3 Famitsu 984
- 3.6.4 10th - screenshots
- 3.6.5 11th - screenshots
- 3.6.6 12th - screenshots
- 3.6.7 12th - srtwork
- 3.6.8 18th - screenhots
- 3.6.9 25th - videos
- 3.6.10 Micromania Game Show
- 3.6.11 30th - magazine
- 3.6.12 31st - screenshots
- 3.7 November
- 4 References
- May - Super Mario Galaxy is revealed at E3 2006.
- Nov. 1 - Super Mario Galaxy is released in Japan.
- Nov. 12 - Super Mario Galaxy is released in North America.
Super Mario® Galaxy (temporary name)
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Action Platformer
Accessories: Wii Remote and Nunchuk Controller
The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step … out into space. Join Mario™ as he ushers in a new era of video games, defying gravity across all the planets in the galaxy.
- Shake, tilt and point! Mario takes advantage of all the unique aspects of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, unleashing new moves as players shake the controller and even point at and drag items with the pointer.
- Mario essentially defined the 3-D platforming genre with Super Mario® 64, and this game proves once again that he is king. Players perform mind-bending, low-gravity jumps across wild alien terrain as they experience platforming for a new generation.
Game storyline: When some creature escapes into space with Princess Peach, Mario gives chase, exploring bizarre planets all across the galaxy.
Characters: Mario, Peach and enemies new and old.
How to progress through the game: Players run, jump and battle enemies as they explore all the planets in the galaxy. Since this game makes full use of all the features of the Wii Remote, players have to do all kinds of things to succeed: pressing buttons, swinging the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk, and even pointing at and dragging things with the pointer.
Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Since he’s in space, Mario can perform mind- bending jumps unlike anything he’s done before. He’ll also have a wealth of new moves that are all based around tilting, pointing and shaking the Wii Remote.
Cropped from larger "playstyle" image.
- Different HUD with a similar layout to Super Mario Sunshine's.
- The planet shown here is a low poly version of the early DiskFlowerPlanet.
- There are two Sling Stars as opposed to only one.
The same demo appears to also have been used at Nintendo World 2006, but with the language set to Japanese.
- JuexFrance (now called Gamekyo)
- Learning to Jump (E3 Off-Screen) (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Flying in Space (E3 Off-Screen) (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Batting at the Boss (E3 Off-Screen) (mirror: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7RNXH6kVMc6qbHzxfeUBmU-vaJhTA_Q/view?usp=sharing) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Planet Hopping, Boss Bot (HD Off-Screen) (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Spider Boss (E3 Off-Screen) (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Exploring Space (E3 Off-Screen) (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: Salomon34Mario on YouTube, Liynkx on YouTube, modern ign)
- E3 Demo Walkthrough (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign)
- Matt and Mario (mirror: google drive) (re-encodes: newer ign [not sure what even this is]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXCMgNRv4ug (move to above - re-encode of one of the above videos)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skGH_Rrjlmw (move to above - re-encode of one of the above videos)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAIwt1pSusg (move to above - re-encode of one of the above videos)
- x (re-encode: Tho85 on YouTube)
- The Mushroom Kingdom
- Nintendo Official Magazine
- Super Mario Galaxy (working title) Gameplay Movie (re-encode: newer GameSpot)
- Super Mario Galaxy (working title) Interview (re-encode: newer GameSpot)
- Super Mario Galaxy (working title) Gameplay Movie 2 (re-encode: newer GameSpot)
- Super Mario Galaxy (working title) Gameplay Movie 3 (re-encode: newer GameSpot)
- Super Mario Galaxy (working title) Gameplay Movie 4 (re-encode: newer GameSpot)
- Press The Buttons
- x (re-encode: mariomadproductions on YouTube)
- x (re-encode: MarioLuigiVideos on YouTube)
- Cody Pollet
- Sampo Karjalainen
- United Games (archive.org entry says this was originally released on E3Videos.com)
- Super Mario Galaxy, Wii, E3 2006 - United Games / E3 Videos (mirror: Andrew Armstrong on archive.org)
- Super Mario Galaxy, Wii, E3 2006 - United Games / E3 Videos - youtube upload.
- CaptainSpalding (or at least reuploaded by him)
- https://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/07/20/outer-space-and-mario (includes images)
- https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/07/28/super-mario-galaxy-suggestions (includes images)
- https://themushroomkingdom.net/smg_e3-06.shtml (includes videos)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Super-Mario-Galaxy/Volume-2-The-Developers/3-From-Uncertainty-to-Conviction/3-From-Uncertainty-to-Conviction-222643.html / http://archive.is/3Ph97
After-hours press event
The "Wii Preview" event took place from 14 September in multiple places around the world:
- 15 December - London
todo: add wayback machine ign image pages and nintendo world report image page as refs
note: the "Mario GXX" labels are from the Photoshop "Slices Group Name" fields in the exif data from some JPG copies of the screenshots, or in some cases from the actual JPG's/BMP's filename
todo: find video . NGTV Issue #04 December 2006 DVD has footage from the London conference.
photos of a video shown on the stage of the London version of the event:
See the E3 2006 demo section.
Nintendo World 2006
Nintendo World 2006 (Nintendo World 2006 Wii体験会) was an event held in Tokyo in November 2006.
See E3 2006 demo section.
- Shigeru Miyamoto said the game will be released this year.
Shown during the conference.
5th - screenshots
does this exist?: E3 2007 press release
Many videoclips of the E3 Demo survived on YouTube:
- The titlescreen music was synthesized.
- There is no shining on the titlescreen when preceding.
- Demo features a rather barebones looking level selection with early galaxy names.
- The text in the speech bubbles is not centered.
- Textmessages differ as well.
- The section with the sling star originally featured pull stars.
- Hand icon is slightly rotated.
- Flip-Panels inside the planet had different placements.
- Life Mushroom used to look like an ordinary mushroom. A similar-looking model exists in the final game unused.
- In the Bonus Area with the Boulders, the Rolling Boulder Trails do not exist yet. The ?-Coin is also not present, and is instead replaced with a ?-Block.
- Bee Mushroom had a different design.
- The brick texture is different.
- The 2 Flower Platforms on the lower ledge of the starting planet have 8 Star Bits each on them, instead of the 8 Coins in the final.
- The Bee on the Fountain Planet doesn't turn to face you from a distance, however, in the final game it does.
- In the final game, there is a Bee that tells you how to climb the wall on the Queen Bee Planet. This Bee does not exist in Honeybee Galaxy.
- Along the side of the Queen Bee Planet, in the final game, there are Coins that guide you back to the front, from the side. These are Star Bits in Honeybee Galaxy.
- There is a 1-UP replacing the Coin on the Lonesome Honeycomb on the Queen Bee Planet.
- The ?-Coin on the Honeycombs spawns Star Bits, however, it just makes Coins appear in the final game.
- No toads on the final platform with the star.
Honeybee Galaxy Unused Text
|Honeybee Galaxy||Honeyhive Galaxy|
|Welcome to the Honeybee Kingdom! Our queen rules this land.||Welcome to the Honeyhive Kingdom! Our queen rules this land.|
|New Bees must greet the Queen Bee!||New Bees must greet Her Highness, Queen Bee!|
|Boy, hauling honey is NOT easy!||Honey is HEAVY!|
|Oh, dear! Who are you?||And who might you be? A physician, we presume?|
|Actually, I really don't care who you are. I just need help.||No matter. We are in the most vexing predicament and require assistance.|
|For some reason, I'm extremely itchy all over. Could I trouble you to take a look and find out why?||The most furious itchiness plagues our entire being! It must be stopped! Please find the source at once!|
|Ooh hoo hoo! That tickles!♪||Ahoo hoo! That tickles! ♪|
|Oh! That feels great!♪||Ah...that feels goooood! ♪|
|Yes! Right there!||Yes, that's the ticket!|
|Why, thank you, New Bee! Next time I need something, I'll ask you.||My thanks! You have shown much bravery, New Bee. We trust that we may rely on you in the future!|
Nintendo Developer Roundtable
Australian private event
do these exist?: Games Convention 2007 press release, video
Nintendo UK private event
Not sure if this is associated with event.
Some new artwork was released:
- i_13493.jpg - Boo Mario
- i_13494.jpg - Rosalina
- i_13495.jpg - Mario
- i_13496.jpg - Bee Mario
Nintendo Media Summit 2007
E for All 2007 demo
10th - screenshots
11th - screenshots
12th - screenshots
12th - srtwork
18th - screenhots
25th - videos
Micromania Game Show
Se E3 2006 demo section.
30th - magazine
31st - screenshots
Montreal International Games Summit 2007
Yoshiaki Koizumi conference
Yoshiaki Koizumi interview by the electric playground
9th - screenshots
29 screens. Unknown if these are associated with an event. 
- NGTV Episode #04 December 2006
- E3 2007 Nintendo Asset CD
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnpJjAXbO6c (this is a reuploaded of the original video), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1N3T7xAY0 (this is another reupload)
- GamesPress; Aug. 7th, 2007
- GamesPress; Sep. 24th, 2007
- GamesPress; October 12th, 2007
- GamesPress; October 12th, 2007
- GamesPress; October 31st, 2007
- GamesPress; October 9th, 2007