Bookworm (Windows, Mac OS X)
Bookworm is an endless word-based game from PopCap, similar to Scrabble but in its own style.
The game's executable has full support for loading from a main.pak, unfortunately, PopCap never released a version of the game using one and the game does not read the music directory in a PAK.
1.13 = Windows Vista Compliance. 1.03 = Bug fixes. 1.02 = Bug fixes. 1.01 = New tiles, bug fixes. 1.00 = Initial release!
Two revisions were pushed, Steam only got 1.0 and PopCap got the latest.
The game's executable mentions developer command lines for starting the game, its not friendly with commands using spaces so use = instead, starting from this method forces the game to act like its in "Trial" mode. These are:
- -play: Plays popcap.dmo if its present, if not present, an error is shown. -demofile can also be used to choose the name and location of the file.
- -recnum: Records demos with Popcap.dmo and Popcap#.dmo if that's taken on every boot.
- -playnum: Plays demos with Popcap.dmo and Popcap#.dmo from -recnum if that's taken on every boot.
- -record: Records a demo named Popcap.dmo and saves after shutdown of the game.
- -demofile: Specifies filename for recorded demos.
- -crash: Crashes the game immediately with an Access Violation error.
- -screensaver: Makes the game act like its a screensaver, any movement or key presses will immediately force close the game.
- -changedir: Changes game installation directory, for the current boot.
- -version: Shows the product name, version, build number and build date with a popup instead of starting the game.
There may be more.
Pressing CTRL-ALT-D will play a sound (c:\windows\media\Windows XP Menu Command.wav) to indicate debug key input is enabled, allowing options of typing unique keys for debugging displays or mechanisms, another use will disable it.
- F2 - Start/Stop perf timing
- F3 - Toggle FPS display
- Shift F3 - Toggle FPS/mouse coordinate display
- F8 - Show current Video Stats (mostly used to see if 3D acceleration is currently on)
- Shift F8 - Toggle 3D acceleration
- F11 - Take screenshot (goes into the ProgramData/OEM/Bookworm/_screenshots) directory.
- Shift F11 - Dump all program images in memory to the ProgramData/OEM/Bookworm/_dump directory.
|The Bookworm series|
|Windows/Mac OS X||Bookworm • Bookworm Adventures • Bookworm Adventures Volume 2|
|Game Boy Advance||Bookworm|