Golden Axe II (Genesis)
|Golden Axe II|
This game has a prototype article
At the title screen, highlight "Options" and hold A + B + C, then releasing B + C when the menu appears. Now, with A still held, do the following:
- Exit the menu (Settings may be done first).
- Select 1P or 2P Play.
- Select your character.
Level 2 has an unused brickwork texture, but it's always offscreen, so it's never seen or used.
|Normal game||Hacked game|
Level 5 actually has grates above the door, this texture goes completely unseen & unused.
Unused attack group
If you use level select to access Level 6 in easy mode, the entire level is empty except for these three skeletons.
As you never face all possible enemies in the Duel Mode, some faces are never seen. Also not all letters are used.
Because of the overlay, it is impossible to see the map, here is the full version without the overlay.
One of the magic spells has a graphical effect which causes ripples over the sprite. Here is the original sprite ripped without the ripples.
|The Golden Axe series|
|Arcade||Golden Axe • Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder • Golden Axe: The Duel|
|Genesis||Golden Axe (Prototype) • Golden Axe II (Prototype) • Golden Axe III|
|Game Gear||Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe|
|Sega Saturn||Golden Axe: The Duel|
|WonderSwan Color||Golden Axe|
|PlayStation 2||Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 5: Golden Axe|
The game was ported to the Arcade too, under the Mega Play system:
- Access all the duel and all the menus was removed and instead replaced with PUSH 1P OR 2P START BUTTON
- The settings were moved to the dip switches, which lets you change the difficulty between Normal and Hard, user starts with 1 or 2 lives, and 1 or 2 initial players, and turn the timer on or off
- 9 second timer added to Select Player screen
- 8 minute timer added to Normal mode, which resets at the start of each level. Says TIME OVER and requires another credit to continue play.
- INSERT COIN(S), Credit system and instruction screen added
- Ending staff roll now only says PRESENTED BY SEGA and THE END
- The ranking screen difficulty has been deleted
It was first ported to the Mega-Tech system, but this had few if any changes to it.