Proto:The Jungle Book (Genesis)
This page details one or more prototype versions of The Jungle Book (Genesis).
This prototype is documented on Hidden Palace.
|Oh dear, I do believe I have the vapors.|
This page contains content that is not safe for work or other locations with the potential for personal embarrassment.
Such as: Raunchy text from the prototype
A prototype that was used for Winter Consumer Electronic Show (WCES) 1994 was dumped by drx in May 2019. It contains a number of differences from the final game, and many different layouts.
- The sound effect when Kaa disappears is missing.
- The main copyright text is absent.
- The Virgin logo has an animated reflection, whereas it's static in the retail.
- The Walt Disney logo features Kaa dangling Mowgli over the logo instead of Tinkerbell, and was changed from 'Walt Disney' to 'Disney Software'.
- The copyrights are removed, and only a level select is available.
- The Wastelands cannot be played. If hacked to appear in the list it will, but selecting it causes the game to lock up.
- The Great Tree cannot be played, nor does it appear in the internal list.
Intro & Ending Text
Although not used, most of the storyline text is in the game's code. There are some mistakes with names (Bagheera being known as Begheera, Colonel Hathi being known as Colonel Hoffee), and mostly minor alterations throughout.
The intro text has two extra lines, although it's unknown if the first line was really supposed to be the first, since it doesn't match up with the story.
|IF ONLY MOWGLI KNEW THE DANGER THEY WOULD FIND ON THEIR WAY TO THE VILLAGE!
OUR TALE BEGINS SOME TIME AGO WHEN BEGHEERA FIRST HEARD A STRANGE SOUND
THE SOUND CAME FROM A MAN CUB WASHED ASHORE INSIDE A LITTLE BOAT
BEGHEERA KNEW THAT THE MAN VILLAGE WAS TOO FAR FOR THE MAN CUB TO TRAVEL
HE TOOK THE MAN CUB TO THE DEN OF THE WOLVES WHO ADOPTED HIM
YEARS PASSED AND NEWS CAME THAT SHERE KHAN THE TIGER HAD RETURNED
BEGHEERA AGREED TO PROTECT THE MAN CUB ON HIS JOURNEY TO THE MAN VILLAGE.
OUR TALE BEGINS WHEN BAGHEERA FIRST HEARD A STRANGE SOUND
THE SOUND CAME FROM A MAN CUB WASHED UP INSIDE A LITTLE BOAT
BAGHEERA KNEW THAT THE VILLAGE WAS TOO FAR FOR THE MAN CUB
HE TOOK THE MAN CUB TO A DEN OF WOLVES WHO RAISED HIM
YEARS PASSED AND NEWS CAME THAT SHERE KHAN HAD RETURNED.
The only ending text corresponds to Shanti. Somebody had a bit of fun with it, which needless to say got removed in the final.
|THE LITTLE GIRL WAS SINGING A SONG ABOUT THE VILLAGE AND HER PARENTS. MOWGLI COULD NOT RESIST THE GIRLS LOVELY LEGS AND HE FUCKED HER IN THE VILLAGE.||THE LITTLE GIRL WAS SINGING A SONG ABOUT THE VILLAGE|
The text for the debug mode found in the final is here, but it's currently unknown how to access it properly.
MAP VIEW MODE NO ENERGY LOSS INFINITE LIVES INFINITE TIME SINGLE GEM MODE FORCE BONUS LEVEL PALETTE EDITOR SOLID FLOOR
Sound Effect Titles
The sound effects (and two songs that are present) are listed internally.
MAN SHOT BANANA SPLAT PICKUP GEM LONDON BRIDGE CHUTE PANTS AARDVARK SHOT MENU SELECT DOSEBEARNECESS CHIMP SCREAM MOWGLIS HAIR CHIMP WHOOP CHIMP HURT SNAKE SPRING SECRET PANEL FLIPPY CHIMP SNAKE GULP BLOW DART WHIPPY BRANCH RAG NECESSITY
On the subject of music, the songs used vary slightly compared to the final. Bare Necessities plays slower, for instance.
Other menu settings are here, too. But you can't use them.
PRACTICE NORMAL DIFFICULT ON OFF AB AC BA BC CA CB
There are no story elements present just yet, aside from those squirrelled away in the code. As such, the book opening is also missing and instead replaced with the background from the title screen and some text telling the player to 'Get Ready'.
- Mowgli's life counter and gem counter were moved to the top in the final, and the sizes were switched.
- An alarm clock replaces the hourglass from the final.
- A snake measures Mowgli's health in the prototype, whilst in the final, his life icon depletes instead. The snake was used in the Game Gear and Master System versions instead.
- There is no banana counter.
- Many sound effects are missing, including Mowgli's 'ouch'.
- If Mowgli uses the see-saw at the bottom and falls straight back down on it, Mowgli soft locks himself and the boulder appears over the see-saw. The timer will need to run out before you can continue the game.
- The only objective in this game is to find a certain number of gems in each level. Once found, a bird that is not in the final will grab Mowgli, and take him to a bonus-style screen where he'll automatically grab various items.
- This screen can become corrupt at times.
- As seen on Falling Ruins, one item in particular causes the game to softlock on this bonus screen: a shovel item.
- When losing his health, a black screen with Mowgli's static idle sprite appears.
- Mowgli doesn't fall down, nor does the vulture appear across the screen.
- He does fall down when the main Game Over screen appears.
- Infinite continues.
| Level 1-5|
Jungle by Day - The River and Baloo
| Level 6-10|
The Tree Village - The Wastelands
|The Jungle Book series|
|NES||The Jungle Book|
|SNES||The Jungle Book|
|Genesis||The Jungle Book (Prototype)|
|Game Gear||The Jungle Book|
|Sega Master System||The Jungle Book|