Proto:Wolfenstein 3D (SNES)
This page details one or more prototype versions of Wolfenstein 3D (SNES).
Graphics rips and any additional differences. There's also a newer prototype out there.
Already going through Nintendo's censorship process, the prototype of the SNES Wolfenstein 3D still has quite a few differences.
- No iD/Imagineer/B.J. Blazkowicz globe animation when booting the game up. It goes straight to the title screen.
- Title screen cheats work without holding R button at startup. Right + Select go to Music Test, Down + Select go to Sound Test, Up + Select go to Level Select.
- No password is given when viewing a map. A password is still given when you finish a level, though.
- A CPU meter of sorts is present on the top-right corner of the screen during the game.
- The maps tend to be a lot closer to the PC version.
- No ammopacks or SNES-exclusive weapons are present past Mission 3.
- Mission 2 and Mission 3 are swapped.
- A few sound effects are missing.
- Pressing Start on the main menu sends you into the game.
- The passwords are one letter shorter.
- Secret walls are seen on the map, these are identified by them looking different on the map than what's really seen in-game.
- Some secret walls can be seen through, and trying to push them on such side, the game gives an error and freezes. This is visibly seen in 2-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 6-2 and 6-5. Due to this, some levels can't be 100% completed.
- The secret exit of 3-1 takes you to 4-1.
- The exit of 4-1 takes you to 3-2.
- Mission 5 has no boss and exit.
- Floor 5-6 can crash due to all the enemies.
There is no skill level option. Also, the "bullet" for selecting options is a more generic flashing cursor.
- Anything even remotely related to Nazism is censored in both the prototype and final. There is an exception at this point, though – the Iron Cross is still visible.
- Ammopacks are bandoleers in the prototype.
- The HUD has "Health" and "Ammo" (like the PC version), instead of "H.P" and "shot".
Hitler has already been renamed, but since "Hister" would sound a little too similar to Hitler (or was perhaps just a placeholder name), it was changed to "Staatmeister" in the final.
Blood is still present in the prototype, although the blood bowl has been taken out. Also, the HUD has a blue border instead of a black one.
The Wolfenstein series
|DOS||Wolfenstein 3D (Prototype) • Spear of Destiny|
|SNES||Wolfenstein 3D (Prototype)|
|Mac OS Classic||Wolfenstein 3D|
|Game Boy Advance||Wolfenstein 3D|