Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (SNES)
|Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind|
Also known as: Yamaneko Bubsy no Daibouken (JP)
Ha! Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Get it?
Stage Select and Debug Mode
At the title screen, enter the following button sequence on controller 1 or 2, B, Down, Down, Left, A, Right, Up, B, Right, Right, A, Right, Down, B, A, Down. A long fanfare will confirm you entered correctly. Now enter the following button sequences in the following order on controller 1 or 2 (controller 1 is recommended):
- B, Right, Right, Left, Y, Up, A, Up, Down, Down, Down, Left (possibly meant to be "BERLYN AND DSW" - i.e., developers Mike Berlyn and D. Scott Williamson) - Unknown.
- Down, A, Y, B, Up, B, Down, Y ("SAY BUBSY") - Unknown + Stage select.
- Down, Right, A, Down ("DEAD") - Unknown + Stage select + Debug mode.
The music will restart after each sequence if entered correctly. If you mess up or press any button on the other controller, you will have to restart from the very first sequence.
This code doesn't appear to do anything special.
This allows you to choose your stage and such by pressing buttons on controller 2 at the title screen (Note that using these before completing the third sequence will force you to re-enter all three if you want Debug Mode):
- Up: Increase starting stage by one. (Do not go beyond stage '21'. It will crash the game!)
- Down: Decrease starting stage by one. (Do not go below stage 1. It will crash the game!)
- Right: Increase starting stage by three. (Do not go beyond stage '21'. It will crash the game!)
- Left: Decrease starting stage by three. (Do not go below stage 1. It will crash the game!)
- B: Enable and disable "demo mode". (The computer will play the selected stage. Pressing any button while in demo mode will reset back to the title screen.)
- A: Unknown. (Constantly plays annoying sound effects in the selected stage. Using this button will not restart the music, like the others do.)
Debug mode allows you to do many different things while in a stage:
While Playing the Game
- Select + R: Enables and disables debug mode.
- D-Pad: Move around stage.
- Hold Select: Pixel-precise movement + slows time.
- Hold R: Tile-precise movement.
- L: Delete objects.
- A: Increase selected item by one.
- Y: Decrease selected item by one.
- X: Place selected item.
- B: Unknown (reset select item?)
- Select + L: Enable and disable sound test & VRAM viewer mode.
Sound Test/VRAM Viewer Mode
- Up: Increase music track by one.
- Down: Decrease music track by one.
- Right: Increase sound effect by one.
- Left: Decrease sound effect by one.
- B or X: Play selected music track.
- A or Y: Play selected sound effect.
- A (Controller 2): Increase Bubsy's sprite spacing.
- B (Controller 2): Decrease Bubsy's sprite spacing.
At 0x0C09E2 in the ROM is the following string:
(C) 1992 Basement Boys Software
Basement Boys Software was a group that made hacking tools for the Commodore 64 in the mid-to-late 80s. Some of its members later moved on to Chip Level Designs, who provided sound programming in several SNES games. That's pretty neat.
For some odd reason, the U.S. and European versions have their passwords using consonants while the Japanese version uses numbers for its passwords. Note that the passwords in the Japanese version are the first 114 digits of pi. (3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706798214808651328)
|Level||U.S. / Europe Password||Japanese Password|
It should be noted that 7X, 8X, and 9X are all the canyon stages for Levels 7, 8, and 9.
The Bubsy series
|SNES||Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind|
|Genesis||Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind|
|Jaguar||Fractured Furry Tales|