Densetsu no Stafy 3
|Densetsu no Stafy 3|
Document recently found test maps.
Densetsu no Stafy 3, guest starring Wario, is the third game in the Legendary Starfy series. This game also has multiplayer minigames.
A series of debug conversations for testing colors, texts, animations, and one of the Ogura cutscenes.
Modify offset 192844 to 786A5A08 (or simply write it at 08192844 in VisualBoyAdvance's memory editor) and start a new game. The characters will now have different texts.
Displays white, red (color 3), cyan (color 7) and orange (color 12) text. Later displays a system color ("システムカラー") that appears identical to color 3.
Modifies Starfy's pose each time アニメへんこうてすとだ！ appears.
- Pose 1: Starfy raises one of his hands with a neutral pose, and water drops from it.
- Pose 2: Starfy poses smiling with his eyes closed and one of his hands missing/hidden behind his back.
- Pose 3: Starfy relaxes on the floor sitting on his front, again with a hidden hand.
- Pose 4: The same as pose 3, but Starfy is sleeping. His mouth animates and "Z" can be seen. Starfy then fidgets a little.
- Pose 5: Starfy falls and hurts his head, now bandaged. This animation does not loop.
- Poses 6-12: Starfy looks disapproving and his hands animate.
Used to test "message data". The options are "Conversation caller", "Conversation switcher" and "Ogura caller". Both "conversation caller" and "conversation switcher" print text, and "Ogura caller" starts one of the cutscenes with Ogura hurrying to do what Evil asked of him, and his relationship with him.
This text starts from offset 5A6AE1 in Shift JIS in a Densetsu no Stafy 3 ROM. Translations are provided below. Curiously, the below text may also be found in Dr. Mario & Puzzle League but at a different offset.
カラーへんこうてすと カラー３ カラー７ カラー１２ カラーへんこうてすと２ システムカラー テストメッセージ グッズ１０ テストメッセージ テストだぜ！ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ テストだぜ！ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ テストだぜ！ １２３４５６７８９０１２３４５５６７ オラ！ テストめっせーじだ！ スピンしたら オレさまが とびだすぞ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ アニメへんこうてすとだ！ いちど とびだしたら へやを へんこうするまで じめんには もどらないぞ！ これは テストようの メッセージデータじゃよ・・・ テストをおのぞみじゃな？ かいわよびだし かいわきりかえ おーぐらでもよびだし かいわよびだしのテストじゃよ かいわきりかえのテストじゃーー つぎのページはべつのてきすとを ひょうじするぞい！ おーぐらでもをよびだすのじゃ・・ かいわしゅうりょうなのじゃ！ かいわよびだしテストですよ かいわきりかえテストですよ このかいわが おわったら かいわモードはしゅうりょうする はずです。
Color-change test Color3 Color7 Color12 Color-change test2 System color Test-message Goods10 Test-message Test! 123456789012345567 123456789012345567 123456789012345567 Test! 123456789012345567 123456789012345567 123456789012345567 Test! 123456789012345567 Hey! This is a test message! If you Spin, I'll pop out at you! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Animation-change test! Once you leave, you can't come back to ground level until the room changes! This is something test message data for testing with... Wanna test something? Conversation Caller Conversation Switcher Call an Ogura This is a test for the conversation-calling function. This is a test for the conversation-switcher. The next page will show some different text! So you wanna call an Ogura or something... Conversation finished! This is a test of the conversation caller! This is a test of the conversation switcher! When this conversation finishes, conversation mode should end.
Identify what parts of the code these are for
There are seven compile dates scattered throughout the ROM. This is likely because the dates are keeping track of when each piece of code was modified.
At 32BBD4 & 354593:
At 380480 & 3D0D26:
OptR.ls.2004/ 07.. 22:0.0:15
Memories of the Trip Feature
Add image. Play through an incomplete save file up to unlocking Moe's House/research more whether the description is unused too.
On the Moe's House menu, locking 02004498 to 04 will bring up an unused "Memories of the Trip" (Japanese: たびの思い出) option, but it is never unlocked. It is possible that during development specific treasure items were intended to be available like in the first two Legendary Starfy games. However, in the final version the only collectables are the Evil Crystals, chests with entries to the sound test and (in a loose sense) entries to the Trading Cards illustrated encyclopedia by defeating enemies.
This feature also has the description "Woah, it's nothing! It's nothing but trash in my eyes!" (Japanese: "..うっ...なんでもねえよ!目にゴミがはいっただけだ"); shared with invalid options.
Multi Load Text
At 18578A, formatted with 00 between each character:
MULTI LOAD SAMPLE
At 32BDF0, 3545A8, 38049C, 3D0D3C, 3A7620:
At 32BE10, 3545C8, 3804BC, 3D0D5C, 3A7640:
MultiSio Sync4 32 Load0208
At 1858BE, formatted with 00 between each character:
MULTI LOAD SAMPLE
At 187BC0, 32BEAC, 354664, 380558, 3A76DC, 3D0DF8:
At 187BE0, 32BECC, 354684, 380578, 3A76FC, 3D0E18:
MultiSio Sync4 32 Load0208
- Like Densetsu no Stafy 2, there are graphics for more stage texts than exists in the final game. File Select screen Stage graphics exist for Stages 11-14, but there are only ten stages in the final game.
- The neutral expression sprite of Starfy remains in the ROM from Densetsu no Stafy with revamped graphics. However, it is not known whether it can be triggered the old way (by forcing treasure chest text illegitimately).
- A variation of the bubble graphic for Undersea Ruins (the Stage where Starfy/Starly team with Wario) is unused.
Add more detail
There are three known revisions of Densetsu no Stafy 3; Rev 0 (i.e. v1.0 / the original game), Rev 1 (i.e. v1.1), and the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console version; based on Rev 1. The Virtual Console version probably makes technical changes to the multiplayer minigames.
Rev 1 makes some minor changes to the game as well (ignoring the expected ROM header and build date changes):
- The placements of some objects were altered, for some unknown reason.
- Additional dialogue was added to a script in Stage 10-4 (あぁ？ 『カン』にきまってんだろ？ オラ！いくぞ！).
- Some character animations were changed in conversations; to better illustrate information (such as alterations to jumping characters to indicate who is talking, or Kanterabaa only shocking Starfy, Starly and Moe in Rev 1).
- Two glitches involving save Mermaids in Stage 4-6 and Stage 8-6 writing a save file at the wrong location were patched in Rev 1.
- A minor text placement glitch related to a Pufftop Guard was fixed in Stage 9-2; by splitting a line into two smaller lines.
- Rev 1 closes the final cutscene of Stage 10-3 automatically.
Object Differences Video:
Scripting Differences Video:
The Legendary Starfy series
|Game Boy Advance||Densetsu no Stafy (iQue Prototype) • Densetsu no Stafy 2 (iQue Prototype) • Densetsu no Stafy 3|
|Nintendo DS||Densetsu no Stafy 4 • The Legendary Starfy|